Template

Monday, July 10, 2017

Delicious (and easy!) Poppy Seed Dressing

I almost never make my own salad dressing- for a few reasons.

First of all- I'm super lazy.
Ok, not really.
Well...maybe it depends on the day.
Let's go with that.
Secondly, my husband loves blue cheese and my daughter loves ranch.  I don't like making more than one kind.

Lastly, I feel more pressure to finish off a batch of homemade dressing when it's in my fridge.  I think I trust the preservatives and foods I can't pronounce on the back of the commercial dressing to keep the store-bought stuff edible longer lol.

Sometimes, though, I go ahead and make the good stuff.

I throw together that creamy goodness from the BLT salad.
I might get a little nuts and toss together a little oil and vinegar every once in awhile.

Generally, though, I stick to store-bought.
Bottled for my daughter, the fancier stuff from the produce department for my picky husband- but store-bought.

Anyway, so remember that Spinach Salad with Peaches and Pecans I made the other day?
Well I magically had all of the ingredients on hand already- except for the poppy seed dressing that it called for.

That might deter some folks- but I'm not some folks.
How hard could poppy seed dressing really be?  I mean...I was pretty sure I had some poppy seeds hiding in the cabinet alongside my spices leftover from some recipe made long-ago.

So I set to work searching for a suitable recipe and it didn't take long to find Delicious Poppy Seed Dressing on Allrecipes.

Ohmyword guys.

Like ohmyword.

I'm pretty sure I'm never buying dressing for myself again- it was so good.  A little sweet, a little tangy.  Thick enough to coat the spinach leaves but light enough to just accent the salad rather than dominate it.

Kind of perfection.
 So simple too!  A few ingredients tossed in the food processor or blender- personally I used the small processor cup from my Ninja blender and it was more than sufficient.  I even scaled the recipe back to two servings so that I wouldn't have tons leftover (see my third reason for not making homemade dressing from above lol) and it still worked out beautifully.

The dressing didn't just work out perfectly on the salad for which I made it, it's been amazing on several salads since- and will be perfect on many more to come!


3/4 C olive oil
1/3 C vinegar
1/4 C honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp minced onion
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp poppy seeds

1. Place olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, onion, and Dijon mustard in a blender; blend until well mixed. Stir poppy seeds into olive oil mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!