Template

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Summery Blackberry Pie

I remember sitting at the computer in my room when I was in high school, using dial-up internet, and- totally on a whim- typing in cookierecipe.com to my browser (Netscape, of course).
It was a real site!  Holy cow!

I decided to try another one- cakerecipe.com.  And then another- pierecipe.com.

They were there too!  Will the wonders of the internet never cease!

I kept going down the list.  There were sites for all kinds of food.

Allrecipes you might even say *winkwink*.

It wasn't until many, many years later when I was sitting in the Seattle headquarters of Allrecipes.com  for an Allstars trip to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Allrecipes.com, that I even connected those old sites to the current iteration of the site I do so much work with.  All of those individual little domains were bundled up into the neat package that has been known for a very long time now as Allrecipes.com

Well, this month Allrecipes is celebrating their 20th anniversary and they've asked their Allstars to help celebrate the milestone by making some of the most popular recipes from the past 20 years, so there's a good chance you'll be seeing me post some of these "Hall of Fame" recipes over the next few weeks.

I decided to kick things off with Blackberry Pie, a nice summery recipe from 1999's Hall of Fame Recipes Collection.

Ah, 1999.  I was busy poring over dELiA*s catalogs, using landlines to return the pages from friends that came through on my cool teal pager, spending an amazing amount of time doing teenager-y things, oh...and apparently searching for recipes on the internet.  Pre-Google.

Anyway.

So yesterday I made some pie.

Me circa '99
I went to the store fully intending to make this recipe as written, and I'm sure it's great that way- however I do have to admit that I made the decision at the last second to make it half blackberry/half raspberry just to mix things up a bit.

I can honestly say that with the exception of making one of those glaze-covered strawberry pies years ago I've never actually made a berry pie before and I was kind of surprised how little work was involved!  Especially since I was short on time and decided to go with store-bought Pillsbury crust!

Are you ready for this?

Take berries.  Mix with sugar and flour.  Pour into crust, top with second crust, bake.

That's it!  No pre-cooking the filling or anything!

This came together incredibly quickly and my husband was in heaven.  I did forget the vanilla ice cream, and I really wish I hadn't because this pie was really begging for it but that's ok- next time.
Because there will be a next time for this one!


4 cups fresh blackberries (or 32 oz frozen berries)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or 1/4 C instant tapioca)
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup white sugar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

2. Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar and flour. Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup berries on top of the sweetened berries, and cover with the top crust.  Seal and crimp the edges, and cut vents in the top crust for steam to escape.

3. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar.

4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.









2 comments:

  1. Oh girl, this looks SOOO good! Any tips or tricks about a gluten-free crust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I had some stellar advice but I have so little experience in that area! This recipe for gluten free crust from King Arthur flour has LOADS of 5 star reviews though, it might be a good place to start! http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe

      Delete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!