Template

Friday, July 7, 2017

Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad

Generally speaking, side dishes are my favorite part of a meal.
Thanksgiving?
I couldn't care less about the turkey!  Nope, I'll be loading up on the stuffing, potatoes, rolls, cranberry sauce, and all of the other goodness.

Grilling out?
I might eat a hot dog or burger, but I'll definitely be leaving the steaks and such to my carnivorous family.  Show me the sides!

A few nights ago I was planning dinner.  I already knew that I was going to be serving those Carne Asada Enchiladas that I wrote about but I wanted to serve something alongside them that was more interesting than rice and beans, you know?  Don't get me wrong, I serve those often when doing Mexican, but I wanted to do something fun.

I love the distinctive flavors of Mexican street corn and I'd had this recipe for Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad from Chelsea at Chelsea's Messy Apron pinned on Pinterest for quite awhile now so I decided to try it out with the enchiladas.

Oh my, you guys.

First of all, it's not supposed to be super pasta-forward despite the name.
The focus is on the corn, the mix-ins, and the dressing.

Secondly, I think I might even back off the pasta next time I make it just so those other flavors can really shine.  Because they are insane.

Everything you love about Mexican street corn, flavor wise, in one amazing dish.  Creamy, slightly spicy dressing.  

Crumbled cotija.

Chili powder

Lime.

Cilantro.

Throw in BACON, black beans, avocado, jalapeño...there's just nothing not to love, you know?


Salad:
2 C miniature farfelle pasta, uncooked
2 (15-oz) cans corn
1 large avocado, diced
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp jalapeño, finely chopped
8 strips hardwood smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 C Cotija cheese, crumbled
1/2 C canned black beans, rinsed well

Dressing:
1/4 C full-fat mayo
1/4 C full-fat sour cream
3 Tbsp lime juice and 1/4 tsp lime zest
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce
Pinch of salt and ground black pepper



1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Make sure the pasta is completely dry.


2. In a large bowl combine the completely dry and cooled pasta, cooled corn, avocado, onions, cilantro, jalapeno, bacon, and cheese.  If you don't plan on eating this in one sitting and immediately after making, don't add the bacon, cheese, or avocado. Add those in separately right before enjoying.


3. In a small bowl combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk together until completely combined.  Toss with the salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!