Template

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Guacamole: A Perfect Food?

Do you know how exciting it is that my daughter is finally old enough to give good food a chance?
We've moved past the kids menu and crayons phase of life and into the days of, "Mom, what's a filet?"

Quick answer: Expensive.
So um...how about I help you navigate that menu?

I have to say though, it's fun to see her choose grilled salmon over a burger at a restaurant these days.

Proud mama moments.

Few of those moments have made me more proud than when she proclaimed that she absolutely LOVED guacamole and started begging me to buy it or make it every time we went to the store.
I mean really, that's a pretty big step if you think about it- guac is just plain ugly.  There's really no way around it.  So to make the jump from kid food to embracing the goodness of green glop is a pretty huge step.
I am more than pleased to have another guac lover in the house to share in this delicious delight with me...and- lets be honest- to keep me from eating it all by myself.

Her change of heart happened when my husband threw me a taco themed birthday party a couple of months ago.  Yes...I love tacos that much.  I'm a tacoholic for sure.
Anyway, my sister-in-law came to visit and made her famous guac.
My daughter wasn't exactly eager to try it after seeing it, but one bite was all it took to fall in love.

So, I'm sure you're already familiar with guacamole, but on the off chance you're not I'll give you a quick run-down.
It's essentially mashed guacamole, tomato, lime juice, salt, garlic, onion, and cilantro.

Some versions have other mix-ins (think pomegranate seeds, corn, or other interesting items) and personally I like a little jalapeño, cumin, and a touch of chili powder.

It's perfect for dipping tortilla chips, smearing in a burrito, topping nachos, adding to a burger- really it's good on almost everything it touches.
It's kind of the perfect food.
Smooth or chunky, classic of funky- it's up to you.  However you like your guac, it's going to be good.


3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
1 lime, juiced, or more to taste
1 tsp salt
1/2 C diced onion
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced, or more to taste
1/4 tsp cumin, or more to taste
1/4 tsp chili powder, or more to taste

1. In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt.

2. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, and chili powder.  Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!