Template

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Simple BLT Salad

I've been buying a LOT of bacon lately.
Like a lot a lot.
My son has decided he loves bacon, and with his weird food issues pretty much any new food is something to get excited about.

And really...isn't bacon always something to get excited about?

I certainly think so.

Anyway, I came across a recipe for a BLT salad and it just sounded so simple and great and, well, I definitely had the bacon on hand- so I went for it.

Crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and croutons- all topped with a creamy made-from-scratch dressing.

I have a confession to make- I've never attempted to make a salad dressing from scratch.  Well, ok, I've made vinaigrettes, but nothing beyond that.  Nothing creamy and rich.  Not even mixing up a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch or anything like that.

Until I made this salad, that is...and I'm pretty sure I may never buy salad dressing again.

The salad is simple.  The dressing is simple.
Together, it's perfection.

I really have no idea how so few ingredients can make such a yummy dressing, but they do.  I used roasted garlic powder instead of regular, upped the black pepper a little and WOW.  So darn good, the whole family loved it.

Honestly, I think this is my new go-to dressing recipe (like I had one before?).  I can picture blue cheese chunks mixed into it as being pretty freaking phenomenal!

Anyway, this salad is so simple but so great- did I mention it's low carb if you leave out the croutons?
Definitely worth a try!


1 pound bacon
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste
1 head romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried and shredded
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cups seasoned croutons

1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat, turning frequently, until evenly browned. Drain, crumble and set aside.


2. In a blender or food processor, combine mayonnaise, milk, garlic powder and black pepper. Blend until smooth. Season the dressing with salt.

3. Combine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and croutons in a large salad bowl. Toss with dressing, and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!