Template

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Best Apple Pie You'll Ever Eat

When I was a kid I absolutely hated pie.
(Except lemon meringue, that is.)
In general I just didn't like any cooked fruits- no cobblers or pies or fruit-filled pastries for me.
Crazy, I know.  I had a back yard absolutely loaded with fruit trees (apricot, peach, plum, cherry, pear, apple...) but my mom had no luck getting the loads of leftover fruit we always had to deal with into me in the form of dessert.

My tastes have certainly matured over the years!
In fact- while generally speaking I don't have much of a sweet tooth- pie is my favorite dessert by far.

Cherry pie.  Berry Pies.  Apple Pie.  Pretty much any pie or cobbler or whatever you put in front of me is going to be difficult to turn down!

Lets just say that at this point I have plenty of experience with pie baking.

Along the way I've come across some recipes that were definite keepers- but then there's this one...

I've had the following conversation on more than one occasion when explaining to someone what I do as an Allrecipes Allstar...

Them: "Oh!!  I LOVE Allrecipes!  I got the most amazing apple pie recipe in the world from that site!"

Me: Grandma Ople's Apple Pie?

Them:  YES!  That's it!  It's the only pie I make!

Well guys, it's the only apple pie I make as well.  It's kind of amazing.

Of course I have to make a little more of everything than the recipe actually calls for because of the gigantic pie pan my husband gave me for Christmas many years ago.
I'm pretty sure he was just implying that he wanted me to make pie a lot more often.
And in larger quantities lol.

Anyway this pie is delicious.  Crazy delicious.
It's made a little bit differently than a lot of apple pies.  Rather than cooking all of the pie filling together the raw apples are piled high in the bottom crust, covered with a lattice crust, and then the spiced brown sugar/butter sauce is poured over the top.  As the pie bakes the sauce seeps and oozes it's way through all of those apples but it also means that the top crust gets a lovely lightly candied topping.

It's phenomenal- Grandma Ople sure knew what she was doing!

I've made this pie over and over and over again and every single time it gets rave reviews.
This is definitely a recipe to keep around when you want to impress your guests!

P.S. Check out my post on pie crust and really put this recipe over the top!


1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 C butter
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp vanilla
8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.

2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded. Cover with a lattice work crust. 

3. Stir vanilla into sugar mixture.  Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.  (I like to brush a little of the mixture across the top of the pie and around the edges so that the whole lattice top gets the delicious treatment!)

4. Place baking sheet on bottom rack of oven to catch any drips.  Bake pie 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!