Template

Saturday, March 22, 2014

I Can't Believe I'm Writing About Something Called "Tor-Tunas"

I mean...really.
Tor-Tunas?

What....?

I'll sum them up like this- a simple yet yummy tuna salad in a tortilla.

Seriously.  Yup.  I'm writing about it.

Are you really surprised?
I've written about egg salad.

I obviously have a thing for "salads"...

Well, here's the thing- I grew up on tuna salad.  It wasn't something complicated or crazy.  I'm sure my mom made it because it was easy, filling, and CHEAP.
The most wonderful tuna salad I remember eating was prepared by a family friend when we visited Yosemite together when I was an angst-ridden teenager and it had apple in it of all things.

When apple makes a dish exotic, you know you've got a pretty plain dish on your hands!

In fact, I had a boyfriend in my early 20's that always ordered tuna salad sandwiches at Subway and I thought it was absurd that a grown man would order such a thing...

But lately I've been craving it.  Just plain, simple tuna salad.  

Then my local grocery store apparently decided to pare down their canned tuna selections and put their stock of Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore on clearance for next to nothing- of course frugal me stocked up and I began my search for the perfect, simple, wonderful tuna salad recipe!

Enter Tor-Tunas...

Ok guys, this isn't anything gourmet.  It doesn't have a secret ingredient.  It isn't a fusion dish, it's just plain, simple tuna salad.  Yummy tuna salad!

I used that albacore I bought, and although I'm sure the taste would be fine with any canned tuna I really enjoyed the chunkier, heartier texture and flavor and would recommend it (across the board, really...).

I followed the recipe and just used lettuce, but I bet tomato would be great too.  I added black pepper and a *little* mustard both times I've made it so far, and it's been pretty perfect.  Personally, I used my favorite OlĂ© brand high fiber/low carb whole wheat tortillas and no sugar added Mt. Olive sweet pickle relish and they were wonderful.  

Anyway, keep these in mind for a quick weekday lunch- they're filling and delicious!


12 oz solid white albacore tuna, drained
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon minced celery
1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
4 leaves lettuce
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas

1. Mix tuna, mayonnaise, pickle relish, onion, celery, lemon juice, black pepper, mustard, and garlic salt together in a bowl. Lay 1 lettuce leaf on each tortilla. Spoon tuna mixture in a line across the middle of each tortilla. Fold opposing edges of the tortilla to overlap the filling. Roll 1 of the opposing edges around the filling in a burrito-style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!