Template

Saturday, March 29, 2014

How to Make Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs...Every Time!

I've always made hard boiled eggs using the same, simple technique my mom taught me when I was a kid.  No crazy directions, nothing added to the water- super simple.  They always turn out perfectly, yolks bright yellow, neither under nor over cooked.


They're kind of the most simple thing to make in the entire world aside from a peanut butter sandwich.

Really.

I've always been a little confused by the frustration that seems to go along with making hard boiled eggs- never having dealt with that dreaded weird yolk color myself, I was confused.  I started looking at different recipes and soon discovered the problem- no wonder so many people struggle!


There are recipes that call for vinegar in the water.
Or baking soda in the water.
Some call for eggs to be added to boiling water, others cold.

So many different methods!

I'm not going to get into the chemistry of everything or debate the merits of different methods, I'm only going to say this-

My method is simple.  Requires nothing but eggs and water.  And in 20+ years of using it exclusively, the recipe has never failed me.  I've never had a greenish gray yolk (or even a hint of one).  I've never had a soft, under cooked egg nor an overcooked white.

Perfect eggs, every time.

With Easter coming up, and many of us dying eggs or making deviled egg appetizers, I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try!

1. Place eggs in saucepan and cover
with at least 1/2" of water- bring to
a rolling boil
2. When water reaches a boil, remove
from heat and cover with lid.
Allow to sit for 15 minutes.


3. Drain hot water from pan, cover eggs
with ice, and add enough water to cover.
Allow eggs to sit in ice water until
cool, about 10 minutes.  Remove from
water and peel or move to fridge.

To peel eggs, gently tap on hard surface, then roll between
palm of hand and surface.  The shell will quickly appear to
be shattered on the egg.  Begin to peel the shell- most of it
should stick together as it easily comes off of the egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!