Template

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Ham...Salad?

For several years my husband begged me to make ham salad for him.  

For several years, I kept putting it off.  A salad made of...ham?  Really?

I mean...we've discussed my love of chicken salad and my love of egg salad...so it would stand to reason that I'd enjoy one made of ham too, right?  Something about the idea of it just really turned me off, though.  I found a recipe, saved it to my recipe box, and then put off making it for as long as possible.
Click on the picture to find the original recipe on Allrecipes.com!

What a mistake that was!

It turns out that as weird as ham salad sounds (I'm not alone in that, right?) it tastes amazing and it's super easy to make.  

It's nice on a sandwich, bed of lettuce, or as a spread for crackers, but my favorite way to eat it is on celery sticks.  I found the original recipe to be a great base, but slightly bland, so I've included my tried-and-true changes to the recipe below.  Definitely give this one a try, it's so tasty!

Winter Blossom's Often Requested Ham Salad
Modified from an Allrecipes.com recipe

1 1/2 lb cooked ham, chopped
3/4 C mayonnaise, or as needed
1/3 C dried, minced onions
1/3 C sweet pickle relish
1/4 C yellow mustard
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp sriracha
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin

1. Process the ham in a food processor until finely chopped but not pasty.  

2. Mix all remaining ingredients into the processed ham.  Refrigerate at least one hour until serving, the dried onions will absorb moisture from the mayo and relish as it chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!