Template

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Eggnog Quick Bread

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a big lover of eggnog.  It's not a flavor thing, it's the consistency.  I just don't like thick, creamy drinks- ugh.  No eggnog or piña coladas for this girl!

Now, take the flavors of those drinks and put them into a baked good, and I'm a happy girl!  My father-in-law's wife makes one of the most amazing piña colada cakes I've ever had in my life *drool*- think I can get the recipe from her for a future post?


Anyway, I love the FLAVOR of eggnog too, and this eggnog quick bread really captures it perfectly.  I found the original recipe at Allrecipes.com, but- like I pretty much always do- I had to change it a little.  I've made it a more moist loaf, added a little flavor, and made it more manageable for making in large batches for gift-giving.  The original recipe makes one 9x5 loaf, but I've found that- in my mind at least- an 8x4 loaf is the perfect gift giving size.  If you divide this recipe in half you'll bake one 9x5 loaf, if you prefer...

This recipe also freezes very well if you want to make gifts ahead of time or just save some for yourself to enjoy later!

Enjoy!!

Eggnog Quick Bread
Makes 3 8x4 loaves

2 C white sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
2 2/3 C eggnog
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp rum flavored extract
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.  Cream together sugar, butter, and oil in large mixing bowl.  Add eggs and mix to combine.  Add eggnog, rum flavored extract, and vanilla extract and mix to combine.

2. In large mixing bowl combing flour, pudding mix, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

3.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just moistened.  Pour into greased loaf pans.

4.  Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap to store.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!