Template

Friday, December 6, 2013

Salisbury Steak and Ground Chicken

I recently came across an amazing deal on ground chicken at the grocery store and wound up buying a HUGE amount of it for around $1/lb.  Couldn't pass that up, right?  Well, I have a few recipes with ground chicken that my family really enjoys, but after making all of them (like this one!)- and still having a freezer full of the stuff- I started searching Pinterest for ideas for the rest of it.

Click on the photo to see the recipe from The 99 Cent Chef!
That's when I found it- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy.

 I obviously had the chicken.  I had some portobellos I needed to use.  I had a salisbury steak loving husband.
I pretty much had my bases covered :-)

This is a nice recipe, and a great way to use ground chicken or turkey.  I think my family does prefer the ground beef version, but this is very good and I'm quite grateful for a way to use ground chicken that I wouldn't have thought of myself!

I made a few changes...I added a couple of teaspoons of mustard, a couple of sriracha, and I used sour cream rather than flour to save some carbs.  Of course the sour cream didn't do much to thicken the "gravy" but it did add a bit of creaminess.

All in all, this was a nice change of pace- and one I'll definitely be repeating while on my quest to clear the freezer of ground chicken!

Click on the picture or here to find the original recipe over at the 99 Cent Chef!

1 comment:

  1. This is, by far, my favorite salisbury steak recipe. I try to double the gravy because it's so good and just doesn't seem to make enough otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!