Template

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Veggie Squares and Stuffed Jalapeños

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have cared that the Super Bowl is coming soon.

In fact, I probably would have rolled my eyes and found a movie to rent.

I've mentioned before that I've tried to get into football the past few years, and- as my very excited husband warned me would happen- I'm actually enjoying it these days.

So of course I love the Super Bowl...it gives me an opportunity to cook a bunch of fun foods AND spend time with my husband watching football!

I'm probably a little more excited about the cooking part...but baby steps, right?

Anyway, over the next few weeks I'll be sharing some of my favorite game-watching snacks with you- starting with a couple I've made before.
First up is one of my personal favorites, and though I've made and photographed it before it seems I've never written about it!  Crazy, since they're amazing!  

I love these Veggie Squares- I seriously had to stop myself from eating the whole pan.  They have a crescent roll base, spread with a cream cheese/dill spread, and topped with a variety of veggies and crumbled bacon before baking.

PHENOMENAL.  They're dangerous around me, I really can't stop eating them :-)

 Despite the cream cheese and crescent roll base, the veggies still make them feel like a lighter option on a table full of heavy appetizers.

Next up?
Remember these Three Pepper Cheesy Stuffed Jalapeños I created for Herdez?

Oh my word they're good.  Easy to make, and quick to disappear at a get-together they are just SO flavorful.  Don't believe me?  Check out the reviews over at Allrecipes.com- this recipe is a keeper!

I've included the recipe for the Veggie Squares below, or you can click the picture to see it on Allrecipes.com!

Veggie Squares
Modified from Allrecipes.com

2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ranch dressing
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 head fresh broccoli, minced
1/2 head cauliflower, finely chopped
1 bunch radishes, finely diced
4 large carrots, shredded
1 bunch green onions, chopped
8 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Unroll crescent rolls onto a baking sheet, and press together the seams to form a single sheet of dough.

2. Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, and ranch together and spread the mixture onto the top of each crescent roll. Sprinkle dill weed and garlic salt over crescent rolls. Arrange the broccoli, cauliflower, radishes and carrots on top of the cheese and mayonnaise mixture.  Sprinkle the cheese over the veggies. Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the shredded cheese. 

3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until done.  Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving cut the crescent rolls into squares.

2 comments:

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!