Template

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Grandma Martin's Brownies

My mom makes absolutely amazing brownies.  Like of the "nom nom nom" variety.  

Fudgy, yummy, goodness.

 Did you know brownies are actually better when they've cooled?  I mean, straight out of the oven they're ok...but their magic doesn't fully develop until they've been left to cool a bit.

I had a really hard time with that concept as a kid :-)

Honestly, to this day- given a couple glasses of wine and somewhat lowered level of self control- I could TOTALLY polish off more than a few of those babies.

Thankfully, I've got the recipe.
It's a blessing and a curse :-)

When I turned 18 (a whole 2 weeks before my best friend and I moved out and took on the world...crazy kids!) my mom gave me a cookbook full of recipes that she had made during my life, everything from my grandma's spritz cookies to her awesome enchiladas.  Many *coughalmost14cough* years  later, that cookbook is stained with drips, scribbled with notes, and has been well loved.  One of the recipes it holds is for those famous brownies.

The original cookbook from my mom
My daughter has fallen head over heels in love with them and begs me to make them often.  Since they're one of the only recipes I can get her to stick around in the kitchen for from start to finish, I'm happy to oblige.  :-)

She thinks they're magic.  She tells her friends about her grandma's "secret recipe."  She refuses to believe that there isn't a magic secret ingredient that makes them as tasty as they are.

There really isn't.  They're just a simple, tasty, brownie...that's delicious!

I've also learned a couple of things over the years...

Personally, I like them as-is.  But you can easily switch them up...

Want to cut some fat?  Sub applesauce for all of the shortening.

Like them a little cakier?  Add a 1/2 tsp of baking powder.

Like them with nuts?  Add 1 C of nuts!

Same goes for frosting.

Me?  Just give me a plain old brownie and a cold glass of milk and I'm a happy girl :-)

I hope you'll enjoy these as much as my daughter and I do!  I've typed up the recipe for you over at Allrecipes.com (just click the link or the picture) and the recipe is also included below!


4 oz Baker's chocolate (or 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 C oil)
2/3 C shortening
2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 C flour
1 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Melt shortening and unsweetened chocolate (or cocoa powder and oil mixture) in microwave or over very low heat, being careful not to burn the chocolate.  Mix in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Stir in remaining ingredients until just mixed.

2. Oil and flour a 9x13 pan.  Spread mixture into pan and bake 25 minutes or until brownies start to pull away from side of pan- do not over bake or they ill be dry!  Cool before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!