Template

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Chicken Cornbread Casserole

I've so been enjoying this week guys, I've got to tell you.  I worked my rear end off filling box after box (after box after box after box...) with popcorn orders over the past couple of weeks leading up to Christmas.
Have I mentioned just how grateful I am for each and every one of your orders, by the way?
You guys are absolutely too kind.
THANK YOU.

 Anyway, I've been one busy girl.
I stay fairly occupied with popcorn orders most of the year, but these weeks leading up to Christmas always go a little nuts with orders for gifts and parties.  A few days ago I reached that point where there was very little chance that all but the most super-expensive-expedited shipping options would arrive before Christmas and I put the shop on vacation.  I hauled the last of the boxes off to ship and my daughter actually cheered.

I'm 100% my kids' for the rest of their Christmas break and it feels absolutely fabulous!
This never happens guys.  I'm so excited.

We've made spritz cookies and toffee.  We've hung festive paper chains.  We've wrapped presents.

Tomorrow?  We're doing homemade bagels- it has been forever since I've made bagels- and snowflakes.  I'm thinking Star Wars snowflakes.  Have you seen the ones from Anthony Herrera Designs that have taken over the internet this time of year for awhile now?  He's actually my friend's older brother and he's amazingly talented.

I think it's safe to say that the kids and I have been doing some pre-Christmas nesting.

You know, there are nights when you just need some comfort food.  The wind is blowing, the night air is cold.
It's time to get cozy.

Or maybe you're looking for a simple meal that requires little to no work and you can throw in the oven while you change out of your work clothes and unwind after a long day.
You know...something that goes especially well with veggies from the freezer and some instant mashed potatoes.
I'm not judging.

Or maybe...maybe you're just looking for something filling and delicious for absolutely no reason at all.
Totally understandable.
I might just have the recipe you're looking for.

I fixed this recipe last night and it was a huge hit.  You can click the link and see the original recipe- the one that calls for really starting from scratch with a whole chicken- but the modified version below is what I used to save myself a little time.  I used cornbread left over from the night before that I had served with Pumpkin Turkey Soup (yum!), a can of Pillsbury® biscuits, and a rotisserie chicken.
Couldn't be more simple!

Essentially you chop up the chicken, toss with crumbled cornbread, crumbled biscuits, cream of chicken soup, onion and celery, and some seasonings.  Then you bake it.  Make sure that you don't smooth out the top of this concoction before you bake it because those crispy little edges on the top of  stuffing are really, really delicious

My family has recently come to the conclusion that Idahoan instant potatoes are delicious.
Mostly because I started sneaking them on to their plates when they asked for mashed potatoes and I didn't have time to start from scratch- they had no idea they were eating instant.
My husband is now a believer.

Don't get me wrong, I still make the real stuff for holidays but for busy weeknights?  Instant potatoes have come a long way!  I rounded out the meal with some veggies.

Health food?  Um, no.
Delicious, cozy food?  Absolutely.
This is definitely worth keeping around for a time when you've got some old cornbread or biscuits to use up- or when you just want some tasty comfort food!


1 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken
10 C crumbled cornbread
8 biscuits, crumbled
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 C chopped onion
1 C chopped celery
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp chicken boullion
1 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning
8 eggs, beaten
2 cups broth, or as needed

1. Remove skin and bones from chicken; chop meat and save for dressing.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Lightly grease a 13'x9" pan.

2. Sauté onion and celery until softened, set aside.

3. In a large bowl, combine chicken, cornbread, biscuits, chicken soup, onion and celery, salt, pepper,  chicken bouillon, sage, poultry seasoning, and eggs. Stir well.  If necessary add enough broth to soak dressing- this may not be necessary depending on how dry the cornbread and biscuits were. 

4. Transfer dressing to greased pan.  Bake uncovered in preheated oven until top is browned and center is firm, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!