Template

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Fall Days and Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin Turkey Soup is one of my favorite things to eat in the entire world.  Creamy, filling, spicy, and flavorful...mmmm... Every year I eagerly await the first day of the season on which we are graced with weather cool enough to eat soup so I can make a big batch.

Well friends, that day has finally come this year and I'm loving it!
I took advantage of the awesome weather and made up a giant batch of soup after church yesterday- enough for a few meals and leftovers to freeze for later when I need another fix!

You know, I've actually written about this soup before, briefly- two years ago  this month actually.  One thing that I can honestly say has improved a great deal in the 3+ years that I've been at this blogging thing?  My photography.  I'm far from a professional or anything, but seriously...my last picture was pretty unappealing.  I've wanted to retake it and do this soup justice ever since.
Don't get me wrong- this soup really isn't all that attractive to start with, so it wasn't all my fault the picture belied it's amazing flavor- but still...I think we can all agree my pictures this time around make it look much more appetizing!

This soup is just so wonderfully flavorful.  The broth starts with a base of tomato and chicken broth and is thickened with pumpkin puree.  Add to that sautéed onion, bell peppers, ground turkey, and diced jalapeño, with a heaping handful of cheese and lots of yummy spices...it's seriously the perfect fall soup.

I'll admit, as written (the way my family enjoys it) this is spicy- but the good news is that's extremely easy to adjust.  I've made this for groups big and small and when I'm making it for more people than just my family I tend to cut the jalapeños, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in half so even those with more sensitive palates can enjoy it.

I always top mine with sour cream and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar, and that sour cream really mellows out the heat while adding a wonderful tanginess.

Serve this with a crisp, buttery grilled cheese sandwich or a nice warm slice of cornbread and you have the perfect fall meal!


2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced jalapenos
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey(or chicken)
1 large tomato, diced (or 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes)
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups pumpkin puree
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 C sour cream

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic until tender.



2. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly done. Mix in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, pumpkin, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese.

3. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at least 20 minutes.  Serve topped with remaining cheddar cheese and sour cream.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!