Template

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Grandma Martin's Breakfast Muffins

This morning was not a stellar moment for me as a parent.

Mornings sometimes just stink, and not just when you're a kid.


I was tired and didn't really want to get up, so I probably wasn't in the best of moods when I tried to wake my daughter.

She didn't want to wake up either, big surprise, right?





She also didn't have her clothes picked out.
Or know where they were.
Or have an organized closet.
Or dresser.
I was...frustrated.

Within minutes, my (generally) always wonderful husband came in and said that maybe I should go get a start on her breakfast while he helped her find her clothes.

Bless that man.

That tells me two things...

I married a good one.
I was very obviously not being the best of mommies this morning.

I felt awful.  I really hate spreading the grumpiness like that, especially first thing in the morning.

I considered making waffles, briefly, to accompany my impending apology to her.
Then it hit me...breakfast muffins.

I loved these things as a kid.  Every once in a while my mom would throw together a batch of these before we headed off to school, and I would inhale them.  
Never having made them myself, I pulled the cookbook my mom gave me of my favorite childhood recipes down from the shelf.

I've made lots of recipes out of that book over the years...brownies, enchiladas, potato pancakes...but this was the first time I had tasted those Breakfast Muffins, as she always called them, in around  15 years.

No wonder I loved them- these things hardly qualify as muffins.  Seriously, they're more like breakfast cupcakes.  Maybe I'll make them with Splenda next time...or not.  :-)

Nevertheless, I remembered them as being yummy and a special treat from my childhood, so I forged ahead.

Definitely no wonder my daughter loved them also- I had to cut her off after two.
My daughter, who usually has to be forced to eat breakfast before school.
My daughter, who can take an hour to finish a bowl of cereal or piece of toast.

She polished off those two muffins in minutes- all while dressed in a truly adorable outfit that she proudly told me that Daddy had picked out, might I add...

These aren't healthy.  I haven't hidden veggies in them.  They have more than their fair share of sugar.
But they're also yummy.  And super easy- she was eating them within 15 minutes of my decision to make them!  

I highly suggest them for the occasional weekday morning- especially if you have a little Mama Grinchness to make up for yourself.
:-)

Grandma's Breakfast Muffins
Click to see the recipe on Allrecipes.com!

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 C oil
1/2 C milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin tray with cooking spray and set aside.  Mix all dry ingredients together well.  Whisk together wet ingredients in separate bowl.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.

2.  Fill muffin pan with batter (filling each cup to about 1/2 full).  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Makes 10-12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!