Template

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Zucchini Tots - My New Favorite Side

I thought I was done with writing about zucchini recipes for the year, I really did.
I've gone a little crazy with them, but they've received such great feedback I couldn't help but share this one more.  It's the last, I promise!  I think I promise.  I promise for now at least :-)

We already know that I love dippable veggies, right?
These definitely fall into that category.  They're so much like tator tots in size and consistency, I had a hard time stopping myself from eating the whole batch.  Seriously.

Ingredient-wise they're a lot like the Zucchini Patties I wrote about a couple of months ago, but rather than parmesan and mozzarella they use cheddar and they're baked in a mini muffin tin rather than being pan fried.

They would be really good dipped in ketchup (a plus, since these are totally kid-friendly), but remember that Comeback Sauce I made with the Broccoli Nuggets?  I love that stuff.  It's easy to throw together and tastes great with anything dippable- like these tots.  I highly recommend it :-)

I served these alongside meatloaf, but I see them making appearances on our dinner table often- with burgers, chicken, pretty much anything else.  Add a side salad and you're good to go.  You could absolutely change up the seasonings to suit your tastes as well.  Enjoy!


My daughter with garden-fresh zucchini two summers ago :-)
2 C grated zucchini
1/4 C minced onion
1/2 C bread crumbs
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp sage

1. Place zucchini in colander in sink or over bowl.  Lightly salt zucchini and allow extra liquid to drain for 1 hour.  Lightly press with paper towel to remove remaining excess liquid.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray.  Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl.  Evenly distribute zucchini mixture between muffin cups, flattening to make them even with top of muffin tin

3.  Bake tots for 15-20 minutes or until browned.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!