Template

Monday, May 5, 2014

Brown Sugar Cookies

So, I bought a set of Easter cookie cutters with visions of good-mommyhood dancing through my head.

Then life happened.
Easter came and went...and the cookie cutters remained in their original packaging.

Bad Mommy.

*sigh*

My daughter reminded me of my oversight and I promised her we would make them as Spring cookies instead...

Then my oven died.
Too much popcorn baking?

*sigh again*
After a trip to Lowe's and way more money than I wanted to spend leaving my account, my kitchen was back in business.
And I promptly forgot my cookie promise to my daughter again.

Really bad Mommy, right?

Anyway, my daughter came home from school today and was kind enough to remind me of my cookie promise, so today was The Day.


I've written about my favorite rolled sugar cookie more than once, but I was looking for something a little different this time.  I found a recipe for sugar cookies using brown sugar rather than white and knew I had to give them a try.

These aren't quite as sturdy as the others I've written about, but they're strong enough.  Soft and tasty, but not as strong a flavor as you might expect with the brown sugar.  They're just different enough that my daughter has fallen head over heels in love with them.

Keep these in mind the next time you're looking for something a little different!



1 cup butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate with your favorite frostings or sprinkles if you like.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were! I think they were even better the second day- that brown sugar flavor developed and the cookies became a little more crisp. Yum!

      Delete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!