Template

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Thick Cut-Outs: Sugar Cookies for Little Hands

There sure are a lot of different types of sugar cookies out there- thin crispy ones, thick soft ones, crackly topped ones...the list goes on.  Me?  Well, I like them all- I've rarely met a cookie I didn't like :-)

What I have met is a cookie that can't hold up to being decorated by little hands.  They crack and crumble, unable to stand up to less-than-delicate fingers.  Thankfully, I came across this recipe for Thick Cut Outs a few years ago and it's become my go-to recipe when I know kids will be involved in the decorating process.  They're delicious, soft yet sturdy, and can hold their own against whatever frosting or sprinkles little hands throw their way.

Yesterday my daughter and I sat down after she got home from school to decorate a few cookies- she used frosting, I used my method of dipping them in icing.  lol Her cookies turned out MUCH prettier than mine, don't you think?

I like decorating cookies over a baking rack placed on a jelly roll pan- that way any colored sugar or icing that falls off of the cookie is contained and super easy to clean up!

Valentine's Day, Halloween, Christmas...these are the cookies you want, and the only recipe I even attempt when my daughter wants to decorate cookies.  Give them a try- I'm sure you'll agree!


6 egg yolks
4 eggs
2 C butter, softened
2 1/8 C sugar
7 C all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each; add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on to the prepared baking sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!