Template

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ups, Downs, and A Side of Salad

We all have those days, don't we?  The days when you don't know which way is up.  There are days when I feel like both running for the hills and hiding in bed.  When I don't know if I want to fall into my husband's arms when he comes home from work or lock myself away in my room with a glass of wine and a book.


I think being a mother always means being torn in multiple directions, and it is often difficult to find a balance that makes you feel whole and successful in all of them.

I am wife.
I am mother
I am Nora.

Sometimes the planets align and I am happy to be all three.
Sometimes being a good Mommy is enough to make Nora happy too.

Sometimes I feel like a failure at them all.
Little Man's first day of preschool!
I've spent enough time in the waiting room of my son's speech/occupational therapists' office to know that I am so very blessed.  His struggles could be so much larger and more difficult than they are.

But then there are days, like yesterday, when I feel like such a failure.
Most days I hardly notice that we can't have a "real" conversation.  I don't get caught up in the struggles of feeding.  I'm used to changing diapers and being nowhere near potty training.  I have a hilarious, intelligent, cuddly, wonderful little boy.

Then there are days like yesterday, when I have no idea how I'm going to get my son's vitamins and iron supplements into him because he just throws them back up.  Days when he needs his hair cut or his nails trimmed and I feel like crying at the thought of the battle that is sure to ensue.  Days when others don't seem to understand what truly goes into the day to day or how much work, both physical and emotional, goes into into so many day to day activities.

I started this post not sure how it tied in with my standard cooking blog fare... and to be honest, it's going to be a loose assosiation, so thanks for hanging in there with me :-)

It's on days like yesterday that I find my peace and joy in the kitchen.
Sometimes I just have to be.  I make sure my little guy has plenty of chalk on hand and let him go crazy writing his words on the chalkboard in the kitchen while I make something that my husband will love, my daughter will hopefully eat, and I get to take a pretty picture for Allrecipes to make me happy.

Yesterday called for something yummy (and pretty) to get me out of my little funk- this Broccoli and Ramen Noodle Salad fit the bill perfectly (low carb be darned yesterday lol!).  I messed with the recipe a little, of course, because I'm me and that's what I do- but it's a delicious little gem of a recipe.  It went PERFECTLY with the salmon, chicken, and portobellos I marinated for my husband to grill when he got him last night (more on those recipes in a future post!).

And I decided to go for the best of both worlds- I threw myself into his arms and had that glass of Malbec :-)

Broccoli and Ramen Noodle Salad
Modified from Allrecipes.com

1 (16 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
2 (3 ounce) packages chicken flavored ramen noodles, broken into pieces
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp sriracha
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger

1. In a large salad bowl, combine the slaw, broken noodles, sesame seeds and green onions.

2. Whisk together the sugar, oil, vinegar, sriracha, black pepper, ginger,  and ramen seasoning packets. Pour over salad and toss to evenly coat. Refrigerate until chilled.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and beautiful pics. The salad sounds delicious! Your son is so fortunate to have such a loving mother! Hang in there!! Thank goodness for our kitchen escapes to help us through those challenging times!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!