Template

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Getting Creative With Bison

Asian Bison Short RibsThis month the Allrecipes Allstars program partnered with The Bison Council and I was lucky enough to receive 10 POUNDS of bison short ribs to play with! I'd never actually tried bison before this, and I was excited to have the opportunity. Half of the ribs I received were to be used in The Bison Council's recipe I signed on to make- Asian Bison Short Ribs. This dish is made in a slow cooker and takes very little effort. I served mine with cilantro basmati rice and tried it out when my in-laws were visiting a couple of weeks ago. We definitely enjoyed them, but the recipe itself wasn't out of this world. I knew I could do better!

Yesterday we invited my stepson and his wife (lol yes, when you marry a man a little older than yourself you find yourself with a daughter-in-law by the time you're 30!) over for dinner to try out a new bison creation- Twice-Smoked Chipped Bison Short Rib Sandwiches.

These things were great!! Smokey and wonderful. After coating them with my dry rub, my husband smoked the ribs themselves. We then cut the meat from the bone and fat and put it through the food processor briefly. We smoked them again over very low heat on sheets of tin foil that I'd poked holes in. Then we tossed in BBQ sauce (I started with a bottle of store-bought and doctored it up a bit) and served on rolls! They were fantabulous. Yes, fantabulous is a word, as far as I'm concerned :-)

This is a recipe I'll definitely be repeating again!  We loved that we could get such wonderful flavor from a lean cut of meat.  I can't wait to get adventuresome with bison again!
Twice-Smoked Chipped Bison Short Rib Sandwiches
Click for the recipe on Allrecipes.com!
Twice-Smoked Chipped Bison Short Rib Sandwiches

1 Tbsp and 1 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cayenne
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
4 pounds bison short ribs
1 bottle BBQ sauce
  1. Combine black pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon, paprika, salt, cayenne, cumin, and chili powder in a resealable bag.  Add short ribs and shake to coat.
  2. Place 10 charcoal briquets on each side of grill for indirect heating, with a pan of water in the center of them.  Stack soaked wood chips on coals for smoking.  Add ribs to grill.  Every 30 minutes add 1 to 2 coals per side and more soaked chips.  Cook for 5-6 hours, maintaining a temperature of 225 degrees.
  3. Remove meat from grill.  Cut meat from bone and fat.  Place meat in food processor and briefly pulse to chip meat.
  4. Stack 2 sheets of tin foil on top of each other and poke holes throughout sheets with fork.  Place chipped bison on foil sheets.  
  5. Move coals to one side of grill (12-15 briquets) and top with soaked wood chips.  Smoke for another 15-20 minutes at 225 or until ends of meat start to brown.
  6. Toss with favorite BBQ sauce and serve on rolls.



 Disclaimer

I am an Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com.

Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews on Sunny Days With My Loves. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of Nora.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!