Template

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Tex-Mex Migas Go Low Carb

Every time I get off of a low carb diet I kick myself.

I would never endorse one diet or another but I can tell you that for me, personally, it works.
Well.

When I stop watching my carb intake it's never long before I regret my decision and I kick myself for ever stopping.  Once I hit my low carb stride it's easy for me to keep it up, it's just finding that stride that is so frustrating.
I want all the foods.
All of them.

That first week or so of low carb I get a little hangry.  I think it's even more difficult for me then a lot of people because I'm quite content not eating meat at all most of the time.  I don't get excited about a steak or a thick pork chop or whatever like most people do and until I get in the swing of things I get pretty frustrated.

I found myself craving migas pretty hardcore a few days ago and I just couldn't get the craving out of my mind.  Eggs, peppers, onions, jalapeños...oh, and tortilla chips.  All served on warm tortillas- personally I like nice corn tortillas best, but that's kind of beside the point.

Migas are heaven on a plate.  A Tex-Mex meal that I could eat any time of day or night.
I didn't just want them, I needed them.


*sigh*
But the carbs...ugh.  The chips alone were just not going to work for me, much less the tortillas they're served with.

It's always been my philosophy when low-carbing that the key to success- for me at least- is to make good food that other people would enjoy too even if they weren't watching their carb intake.  I don't cook with a lot of weird ingredients- nothing turns me off of a recipe more quickly than a list of ingredients I would never normally keep in my pantry.

~Side note, if you happen to be looking for tasty low carb recipes that don't call for a laundry list of weird ingredients check out the all of the ones I've shared over the years!~

So I made my migas.
They weren't exactly traditional, I just kind of left the carb-y things out...mostly.
I started buy sautéing the peppers, onions, and jalapeños.  I added a little bit of cheese, and covered with egg.  To finish things off I crushed one- yes one- tortilla chip over the top for a little flavor and texture.  You could leave that one chip off entirely, of course, but however small a pleasure I enjoy it. :-)

These have quickly become a morning staple for me- I hope you enjoy them too!


1 tsp olive oil
1/4 C red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 C onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp diced pickled jalapeno (or to taste)
1/2" cube processed cheese food (such as Velveeta®)
1 Tbsp salsa
2 eggs
2 Tbsp water
1 tortilla chip, crumbled

1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in frying pan. Add red bell pepper, onion, and jalapeños and cook until softened, approximately 7 minutes.

2. Add processed cheese food and salsa to the vegetable mixture and stir to melt and coat.

3. Whisk together the eggs and water in a bowl. Lower heat to medium low. Pour eggs over the vegetable mixture; cook and stir until set. Top with crumbled tortilla chip before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!