Template

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Another Try At Fudge: My Eggnog Obsession Continues

Every year I get excited when I see the eggnog hit the dairy section of the grocery store.

We've already been over the fact that I haven't quite worked up the courage to drink it on it's own (though it makes an excellent coffee creamer!) but I sure love to cook with it.  That flavor is just amazing!

So far this year I've made Eggnog Custard, eggnog pancakes, and this- eggnog fudge.  It's not even December yet- there's so much more eggnog fun in my future this season!

Now I know that just the other day I was telling you that, generally speaking, I'm not a fan of fudge.
That still remains true.

This time though, my general dislike of fudge was trumped by my love of eggnog flavor and also slightly tempered dislike of the beloved holiday treat on the heels of how wonderfully that White Cranberry Pecan Nutmeg Fudge came out.

So of course I decided to give this Eggnog Fudge a chance.  :-)

Sooooo full disclosure...turns out that with few exceptions I'm still not a huge fan of fudge.
That's not really fudge's fault though, now is it?
I can hardly hold my own personal preference against this variety simply because it's fudge.
That just seems unfair.  It's not Eggnog Fudge's fault that I dislike fudge!

The eggnog flavor of this fudge is outstanding.  I really really loved the flavor!  The nutmeg sprinkled on top was pretty too.  Mixing a little nutmeg and cinnamon in with the fudge mixture would really put this over the top- those changes are reflected below.  :-) If I was a fudge fan and liked my treats sweet I would definitely make this again!  

And you should too.  You know.  If you like fudge.
Which I don't.
Generally speaking, you know.
:-)


1 tsp butter, or as needed
2 1/2 C white sugar
2/3 C eggnog
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C butter
8 oz vanilla candy melts, cut into pieces
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp rum extract
1 tsp nutmeg

1. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on both sides. Grease aluminum foil with 1 teaspoon butter.

2. Combine sugar, eggnog, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add vanilla candy pieces and marshmallow cream; mix until smooth. Stir in rum extract.

3. Pour sugar mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle remaining nutmeg lightly on top. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Score fudge into 36 pieces. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

4. Lift up the ends of aluminum foil to remove fudge from the pan. Cut through scored lines with a large knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!