Template

Monday, October 3, 2016

Detroit Hot Honey Wings and Gameday

You've probably noticed by now that I have a slight obsession with game day foods, but chicken wings in particular.  They're fun, they're filling, and they're so easy to dress up with different sauces!
Who doesn't like wings?

Personally I actually like the flat part of the wing better- which is perfect because my husband prefers the drumette, so there's nothing to bicker over.

I've written about a few varieties before- my "Who Needs Buffalo?" sauce (made with Valentina rather than Frank's), White Alabama BBQ Sauce wings (made with mayo and vinegar), Sweet Heat sauce (with Sriracha), even Low Carb Boneless Buffalo Wings with a more standard sauce.

I'm always tempted to try more "out there" varieties- and I'm sure I'll get around to it someday- but my family's tastes are slightly less adventurous than my own.  It's always kind of a toss up whether something weird will go over well with them or not and I'd hate to get stuck eating an entire batch of wings by myself!
Though now that I write that a whole batch of wings to myself just doesn't sound that bad.  ;-)
I have a Seahawks game to watch this weekend, I might just have to branch out a little!

Anyway, regardless of what sauce I'm using the one thing that really doesn't change is my method for preparing the wings.  Fried wings are great (of course) but you know....I really deeply despise frying things and the mess I'm left with.  Grilling is great, but honestly I just want a simple way to cook the wings so that they're not soggy without making a mess.

So I always always always follow the Cook's Illustrated method of making crispy baked wings.
Foolproof and simple!

I'm a sucker for sweet and spicy sauces so when I saw this recipe for Detroit Hot Honey Wings I new I wanted to give it a whirl.  I didn't follow the cooking method from the original recipe, but the sauce itself was so yummy!
Sticky, sweet, and spicy.  Perfect for game day snacking!

5 lbs chicken wings, tips discarded
2 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 1/2 C honey
1 1/4 C butter, melted
1 1/4 C hot sauce

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate.

2. Season the wings meat with cayenne, salt, and pepper.

3. Cook the chicken wings on preheated grill until cooked through and juices run clear, 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of the wings. Brush the wings liberally using 1/2 cup of honey while they are cooking.

4. Melt the butter, pour into a large bowl and mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of honey and hot sauce. Remove the wings from the grill and immediately toss them in the hot honey butter sauce to coat. Serve the wings 'wet' or return them to the grill for 1 minute per side to set the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!