Template

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Low Carb Chicken Nacho Bites

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Ok, seriously...this one's a huge winner and I actually did have it for dinner.

I've been sooooo slacking on posting lately as I've recovered from The Pneumonia That Just Won't Quit.
Ugh.  Inhaler, steroids, antibiotics...and this is three weeks after that hospital stay.

I'm just ready to not be sick.  I NEVER get sick, so I suppose I was due for a doozy.


I seriously have an entire list of Super Bowl appetizers in my head to write about and zero energy left at the end of the day to do it.

But, ta-da!  Here we go, I'm trying to get back in the game and I'm hopefully I'm on the tail end of this illness.

My husband is trying low carb again and I'm in dire need of getting back on the diet bandwagon.  Do you know what's SUPER rough about low carb?  You want to snack like everyone else.  We're human.  We all want that mindless snacking experience, whether it's chips and dip  or chili cheese fries.

Do you know what's NOT low carb?  Just about anything you can mindlessly snack with the exception of a veggie plate and the Buffalo Chicken Dip I wrote about around this time last year (that has been repinned over TEN THOUSAND TIMES!!!).

That's what I love about these Chicken Nacho Bites- they're low carb.  They're delicious.  And they're something everyone will enjoy whether they're watching their carb intake or not.

They're super tasty- cheesy, a little spicy, and filling.  Extremely snackable.

I made them with mini sweet bell peppers and they were great- and perfect for a party with people who might not be up for the heat of a stuffed jalapeño.  That being said- next time I'm making these with jalapeños.  LOL my family likes the heat.

Remember how much my husband can't stand stuffed peppers?  He loved these.  He ate a ton of them and is already asking me to make them again!

These are seriously the perfect game day dish- I just finished enjoying them while watching the Colts/Broncos game and I can't wait to make the spicier jalapeño version for the Super Bowl!


1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 Tbsp taco seasoning*
1 C pico de gallo, divided
1 C sour cream, divided
1 C Mexican blend cheese, divided
8 oz. pkg mini sweet bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeds removed**
2 1/4 oz chopped olives

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Combine chicken, taco seasoning, 1/2 C pico de gallo, 1/2 C sour cream, and 1/2 C Mexican blend cheese.

2. Spray cooking dish lightly with cooking spray.  Fill each pepper half with as much chicken mixture as possible and place in cooking dish.  Sprinkle filled pepper halves with 1/4 C cheese.  Top pepper halves with chopped olives.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake peppers uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers have begun to soften.

3. Top each cooked pepper with a dollop of sour cream and pico de gallo.

*If you don't want to use a partial package of taco seasoning you can do what I did- I used 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp seasoned salt, 1/8 tsp oregano, 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp onion powder, 1/8 tsp cayenne powder, and 1/8 tsp cumin.

** Or jalapeños!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!