Template

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fajita Stuffed Jalapeños

You may have picked up on this already, but I'm a bit of a fan of food.  And eating.  And excuses to eat.  I'm really a fan of eating food that doesn't make me feel guilty stuffing my face.

My favorite excuse of late?  Football.

That's right.  Football.
Football is an amazing excuse to make delicious, snackable foods.

And I've made a lot of them lately :-)

While they aren't all low carb, there's a certain joy I get in making a yummy snack that we can all enjoy, regardless of dietary preferences.

These Fajita Stuffed Jalapeños fit the bill perfectly- they're delicious and low carb too!

I started with super-thinly sliced beef- the cheapest, thinnest cut of beef you can find works just fine, and it is easiest to slice if it's partially frozen- and thinly sliced onions.  I marinated them together for a couple of hours, as if I was making fajitas.  I used my favorite fajita seasoning mix from Allrecipes with a little olive oil.

I sliced the jalapeños in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, and stuffed them with the sautéed fajita ingredients.  I topped each jalapeño with a little provolone and put them in the oven, where the magic happens.

Oh my goodness, these things are wonderful!  I mean, who doesn't like fajitas?  Lean meat, veggies, and just enough cheese to bring it all together.

Heaven!


12 large jalapeños
1 large onion
1 lb thin beef steak
1 lb sliced provolone (muenster or mozzarella may also be used)
1/4 C olive oil

1. Slice beef and onion very thinly.  Combine olive oil and fajita seasoning in resealable bag.  Add beef and onion to seasoning mix, close bag, and allow to marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Sauté beef and onion mixture in hot pan until onions are beginning to soften and beef is cooked to medium doneness.  Remove from heat

3. Slice jalapeños in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and membranes.  Place cut side up in single layer in 9"x13" baking dish.  Fill sliced jalapeños with meat mixture.

3.   Cut cheese slices into strips.  Place one strip on each stuffed jalapeño.  Bake for 45 minutes or until cheese is golden and jalapeños have started to soften.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!