Template

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

Ginger cookies are a favorite of mine, whether they're crinkles, gingerbread, or even the kid-friendly mild variety.
I just love that spicy, deep flavor.
Does any cookie really scream Fall more than a ginger cookie?

I think not.

I love to bake for people, I really do, and I seize pretty much any opportunity I can get to do it- especially if it means I get to try out a new recipe while doing it!

Every once in a while there's a request in our church bulletin for cookies for the Kairos prison ministry, and this week I baked up a few dozen cookies to contribute.

The guidelines required a sturdy, fairly simple cookie sans icing or frosting.
:-) Good thing I've been eyeing this recipe for Big Soft Ginger Cookies for awhile now...
I have fallen off the diet bandwagon like the crazy carbaholic that I am the past couple of weekends.  I had just picked myself up, dusted myself off, and decided to be diet minded again after this weekend.  Making a double batch of these cookies first thing on Monday morning made it ridiculously difficult to maintain my resolve!

These cookies are amazing (I had to nibble on them a little just to make sure I was giving them decent cookies didn't I?).

Soft.  Chewy.  Spicy.  Pretty too!

Love them.  Perfect for parties or holiday cookie trays.

Perfect for chilly Fall afternoons.

Little Man decided to join in on the photo shoot :-)
Perfect for breakfast on the go.
What?
Wait, no, scratch that.
Or not ;-)  They are pretty yummy...

These, ladies and gentlemen, are keepers!


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar

1. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.  Chill for 1 hour.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).   Shape dough into 1 1/2" balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. 

4. Place the cookie dough balls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.


2 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I love ginger. I love ginger cookies. Going to have to give these a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soft ginger cookies are my fav also!!! So that's how you shoot these beautiful photos! He's a cutie! Great post! Thanks for sharing! =D

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!