Template

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Garden's Bounty: Zucchini Scallion Frittata Cups

I have absolutely no idea why I continue, year after year, to plant zucchini in my garden.
I don't really like zucchini.  My family doesn't like zucchini.

Yet- until this year- I continued to plant it.  Makes no sense, right?

Perhaps it's the enjoyment I get out of watching those plants grow to outlandish sizes.  Perhaps it's the fun of seeing the squash (that is what they are, right?) grow- seemingly overnight- to the size of my calf.  Perhaps it's those gorgeous, big, leaves that I love (until they're inevitably attacked by squash bugs sometime over the summer...).

I don't know.  Whatever it is, I know that every year I'm going to find myself with a huge amount of zucchini and little desire to eat it, at least in it's natural state.  I give away as many as I possibly can, but there's always so much left over!  Thankfully, I have quite a few awesome recipes in my arsenal to help me get rid of the extra.  I shred it, freeze it in 1 cup portions, and use it throughout the year.  It's amazing how many delicious ways there are to disguise zucchini!

There's zucchini relish, Amazing Muffin Cups, zucchini fritters, zucchini burgers, zucchini bread, and my most recent find- Zucchini Scallion Frittata Cups.

Sounds weird, right?  They're awesome, I promise.  My husband didn't have the slightest clue they even had zucchini in them (how's that for sneaking all of that Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Potassium into his meal?)!  

I made these as a surprisingly good side dish to fish, but these would be wonderful for breakfast and would lend themselves well to any number of extra toppings mixed in.

Gardens always seem like an awesome idea right up until the point that your countertop is overflowing with vegetables you're absolutely sick of- these are the perfect solution!  I dare say these are even worth grabbing a couple zucchini at the store if you're not lucky enough to have that problem!


Cooking spray
7 egg whites
3 eggs
2 Tbsp half-and-half
2 C shredded zucchini
1 C chopped green onion
3 Tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.

2. Whisk egg whites, eggs, and half-and-half together in a bowl. Stir zucchini, green onion, and cheese into the egg mixture; pour into prepared muffin cups.
3. Bake in preheated oven until set in the middle, 30 to 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!