Template

Monday, July 21, 2014

Salmon BLT Stacks and Perfect Summers

I love road trips *almost* as much as I love flying.  Call me crazy- maybe I just have amazing kids- but I actually ENJOY being cooped up in the van with them having adventures.  Even reeeally long drives- remember those trips to Texas we take?  I pack some Roadtrip Sandwiches, start Spotify, and make sure I have plenty of snacks, books, and magazines within reach.  Then we hit the open road!

This year we decided to make an extra trip out to Texas to spend the 4th of July with some of my husband's family (16 hours driving is totally worth the chance to restock my favorite balsamic vinegars, right?) and we also were blessed enough to be invited to spend a weekend in historic, quaint, peaceful, all-around wonderful Rugby, TN to celebrate my Father-in-Law's 69th birthday.

Between trip-taking, popcorn-baking, garden-tending, and memory-making with the kids it has been one busy summer!


Wearing my silly Summer hat for some of that memory-making!
This recipe for Salmon BLT Stacks from Barbells and Bellinis is great for a warm summer evening and is made even better by the fact that it takes like no time to throw together AND I got to use tomatoes from the garden and my new bottle of Blood Orange Olive Oil from our last trip to Texas!

It's light, fresh, and still filling enough for my husband.  I absolutely love the lemon caper vinaigrette and will totally be making this again.  I upped the citrus factor even more by finishing it off with a liberal sprinkling of Florida Seasoned Pepper from Penzey's- I usually stick with the basics when I buy spices because I like to come up with my own seasoning combinations, but the tang and spice of that pepper blend makes it well worth buying.  I'm absolutely smitten.  :-)

Little Man enjoying his Summer
Serves 2

For Vinaigrette:
1/2 C olive oil (I subbed blood orange olive oil for half)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
2 heaping tsp capers
1/2 red onion, minced
1/4 tsp salt

For Salad:
1 lb salmon filets
8 pieces bacon, cooked
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
4 cups salad greens (I used spinach and sweet butter lettuce)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper to season (I used Florida Seasoned Pepper from Penzey's)

1. Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients and set aside.

2. Place 1 C salad greens on plate, top with 2 pieces of bacon, 1/2 of a sliced Roma tomato.  Repeat.  Top with salmon filet and finish with sprinkling of salt and pepper and drizzle of vinaigrette.  Reapeat steps for second serving.


1 comment:

  1. Ok, Nora, this looks SOOOOOOO good!!! And I LOVE your thoughts on road-tripping with kiddos. It is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!