Template

Friday, January 30, 2015

Super Snacks for the Superbowl: Easy Shrimp Cocktail

My daughter begs me to buy shrimp.
She LOVES it.

As much as shrimp tends to cost these days, she doesn't get it nearly as often as she would like- but every once in a while I buy some and her face lights up as she squeals "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!"

Between the her love of shrimp and her love of rib eyes (few things bring her more happiness than a good steak), my kid has good taste.

Expensive taste, but good taste nonetheless.

Anyway, I've been racking my brain trying to come up with more low-carb Super Bowl snacks for this weekend and then it struck me- is there anything easier than shrimp cocktail?

Super easy.
It will make my daughter ridiculously happy.
I can make it low carb.
We have a winner!
My shrimp-loving baby 5 years ago!

I took the easy route and bought precooked shrimp, but you could just as easily cook it yourself.
lol you could also buy bigger, nicer shrimp than I did- but I was being pretty frugal.

Anyway, on to the important part- the super easy sauce.

Three ingredients, that's it!


Ketchup (I use Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup, which comes in at 1 carb/serving)
Prepared horseradish
Hot sauce (I used Valentina, but Tabasco or sriracha would also work well)

I wrote this recipe up as a fairly mild cocktail sauce- but I have to admit, I like to double both the hot sauce and the horseradish- :-) I like it spicy!

There are lots of great cocktail sauce recipes out there, but it would be hard to find one as simple and quick to pull together as this one, which is really why it's my go-to recipe when I'm throwing together shrimp cocktail.

This sauce comes together in minutes and is GREAT for snacking- I'm eating mine right now!


1/2 C ketchup (regular or reduced sugar)
1 1/2 tsp prepared horseradish (or to taste)
1 tsp hot sauce (or to taste)

1. Mix all ingredients together, serve with cooked shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!