Template

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Taco Twists

I have a bit of a soft spot for appetizers.  Especially the kind that are easily snackable and full of flavor.  :-)



On New Years Eve this year I didn't have any big plans- just board games and snacking with family.  We decided to forgo dinner in favor of a smorgasbord of tasty treats.  Bite-size corndog muffins for my daughter, Pimento Pinwheels (made with my fantabulous pimento cheese!), and these super tasty Taco Twists.

Can I be honest?
I totally named these before I invented them.  The name popped into my head and I knew I had to do something with it!
I decided to make cute (and tasty) little taco bites for easy snacking.  A crescent roll base, covered with a yummy bean and ground beef mixture, sliced and baked like a cinnamon roll.  After they were baked I topped each of them with a dollop of sour cream and some pico de gallo.

YUM.

You could easily adjust the heat level of these guys by adding more jalapeño to the bean mixture or a spicier salsa on top.  You could even add sliced olives to the filling or add a little shredded lettuce to the topping- maybe sprinkle them with shredded cheddar before baking?

We all really enjoyed these, and I'll definitely be making them again when February 1st rolls around.  :-)


1 lb ground beef, browned
16oz refried beans
1/2 C Velveeta, cubed
1/4 C pickled jalapeños, minced
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 8oz packages crescent rolls
1 C sour cream
1 1/2 C pico de gallo


1. Preheat oven to 375.  Combine browned ground beef, refried beans, velveeta, jalapeños, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, coriander, garlic salt, and cayenne in a saucepan over medium-low heat.  Stir often to combine until cheese is melted and ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Remove from heat.

2. Unroll one package of crescent rolls on a flat surface.  Press seams firmly to seal perforations.  Cover with 1/2 of bean mixture and spread to cover evenly.  Starting with long edge, roll up rectangle into log.  Slice log into 3/4" slices and place on ungreased baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining package of crescent dough.  Bake for 15 minutes or until crescents are golden brown.  Allow to cool for several minutes.

3. Top each taco crescent with a dollop of sour cream and a spoonful of pico de gallo before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!