Template

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Balsamic & Bacon Marinated Pork Chops

We already know I have a thing for balsamic- and I really have a thing for balsamic reductions.

Balsamic reductions are such an easy way to get a really nice, complex, sweet and savory flavor into dishes and they are ridiculously easy to make: heat, reduce, enjoy.  Sometimes I add a little black pepper to the balsamic before it reduces, just for that little extra depth.

I've been staring down an ever-growing collection of balsamics in my kitchen and the other day I decided to use some up on thick-cut pork chops for my husband.
I don't exactly have the best history with meat. 

Really.

Give me pretty much any type of food out there and I'm fairly confident I can rock it, but meat?
*sigh*

Well, I was a vegetarian for years.  I like a little meat here and there, but my husband and daughter are the real carnivores of the family and I simply have never mastered the art of cooking hunks of flesh without destroying them.

My husband loves thick-cut pork chops and I have sadly absolutely murdered far too many of them to count.
Enough that my husband suggested that I might just want to give up on cooking them...like ever again.

Not one to be easily dissuaded, I kept at it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have nailed it.

I've made this recipe twice in the past couple of weeks and both times were absolute delicious perfection.  To say this is a keeper is such an understatement!

The pork is left moist and tender, and super full of balsamic-y goodness and smokiness from the bacon.

This will absolutely be making a regular appearance on our table!

Balsamic & Bacon Marinated Pork Chops

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp cumin
2 Thick-cut boneless pork chops
4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped into pieces



1. Combine balsamic reduction, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cumin and resealable bag.  Add pork chops, seal, and allow to marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Pour contents of bag into 8x8 baking pan and cover tightly with heavy- duty foil.  Bake for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.  Remove from oven and allow to rest for several minutes until internal temperature has risen to 145 degrees F.  Add bacon pieces to cooking liquid, toss to coat, and serve.


2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight. Needed to use pork belly (no pork chops here, pork belly is all there is), but while a bit tough (more cooking, perhaps?), it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!