Template

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Low Carb Chicken Chile Casserole

Well I'm officially back on the diet bandwagon and I've lost 5 pounds this week, and I think for now that's motivation enough for me to keep it up.

It's funny, isn't it?
How much better we feel when we don't load up on the foods we know our body doesn't need.
How much better we feel when our clothes fit the way they should.

Yet we still keep loading up on the things we know we shouldn't!

Most of the time I'm pretty good about what I eat but, inevitably, a small slip-up leads to a big long list of slip-ups, my jeans get a little tighter, and I know I have to get back on track.

This week was the beginning of "get back on track" week for me.

The thing is, sometimes that's a depressing prospect.  What I want to do is spend all of my free time making fun, delicious, carb-laden Super Bowl snacks to blog about.

What I need to do is figure out ways to eat the way I should and still be excited about what I'm eating.
Last night's dinner was really the best of both worlds.  My husband has been bugging me to make another batch of those amazing Low Carb Chicken Nacho Bites, but that's not exactly a full meal.  To go along with the nacho bites I decided to stick with a Mexican-ish theme and make a chicken chile casserole.

It's warm, filling, full of flavor- and it has a (dare I say it?) bready top crust that almost convinced me I was eating loads of carbs.

But I wasn't.
Which was great. :-)

I topped it with a little sour cream and pico de gallo.

Sooooo good.  So many casseroles are difficult to adapt to a low carb lifestyle because they're loaded with rice, potatoes, cream-of-whatever soups...not this one!  I'd like this even if I wasn't watching my carb intake.

Just like with some of my previous recipes, this one does utilize that low-carb mainstay of crushed pork rinds.  You could certainly use almond flour instead, or even regular flour if you're not concerned with carbs.  

Enjoy!


1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C diced onion
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
1 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided
8 oz diced green chilies
2 eggs
3/4 C milk
1/4 C crushed pork rinds (or flour)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Saute onion in olive oil until soft.  Mix together shredded chicken, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, seasoned salt, and red pepper flakes.  Stir in 1/2 C cheddar cheese and green chilies.

2. Spread in bottom of lightly greased 8x8 pan.  Spread chicken mixture in pan.  Top with remaining 1/2 C of cheddar cheese.

3. Whisk together eggs and milk.  Stir in crushed pork rinds.  Pour egg mixture over the top of casserole.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!