Template

Monday, February 2, 2015

Pink Snickerdoodles for Valentine's Day

You know you're a grown-up when your mom starts asking you for recipes.
 
I think this might have been the first recipe my mom ever asked me for.  I'm fairly sure I included a batch of these cookies in a box of Christmas presents- or maybe I made them when she made a trip out to visit?

I dunno.  Like I said, I'm getting old.  Memory fails. :-)

Regardless, my mom called and asked for the recipe and of course I obliged. 
These really are the perfect snickerdoodle- they're crinkly and crisp on top and chewy in the middle.  The flavor is absolutely delicious!
I've made these several times over the past few years since I discovered the recipe, but with Valentine's Day approaching I decided to add a little pink food coloring to them to make them more festive- and to make my daughter happy.  :-) She loved the Valentine's Pinwheel Cookies I made last year and I knew she would be excited about making another pink cookie.

This year I got her involved in the baking process, something she seems to enjoy more and more these days- which of course I love.  Plus we got a little work with adding fractions in while we were measuring!

It's rare that I don't let cookie dough chill, but it's really not necessary with this recipe- in fact, I think I get better results when I don't chill this dough so save yourself the time and just throw them in the oven!  I also baked mine on parchment paper to save myself some clean up time with the cookie sheets. :-)

One more thing?  Don't overcook these.  Please please please don't overcook these.
Leave them in for 8 minutes and pull them out when they're set but not firm.  Let them cool for a few minutes on the pan and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.

If you're not looking for a girly cookie then by all means, make these without the food coloring- they're the perfect snack any time of year!
Makes 4 dozen cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Food coloring (optional)
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda, salt, and food coloring. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.

3. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.


1 comment:

  1. These turned out great and so cute! I like the pink color for my Valentine's Day bake sale. Hopefully they'll still be fresh 3 days from now. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!