Template

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Spring Roll Pizza and New Uses for Cauliflower

I'm not sure when cauliflower became the duct tape of the culinary world, but these days it seems to be the cure-all, quick-fix du jour.

Want mashed potatoes?
Mash some cauliflower.
{Blech, btw}

Want rice?
Rice some cauliflower.
{Gotta say...tried it once and it just wasn't doing it for me}

Want a steak?
Grill some cauliflower.
{Tried it.  Good, but no substitute.}

Want pizza crust?
Use some cauliflower!

Ok, that last one...I've been mildly successful with.
I mean, not like "ohmygosh, I can't believe it's not bread!" successful, but tasty successful.
Totally passable on a low-carb diet successful.
{In fact, totally check out this recipe if you're low-carbing it, it's great!}

Lets just say, as a whole, I've not been super-impressed by the ways in which cauliflower has moved up in the world.

Cauliflower is good on its own.  Vaguely cabbage-y in flavor and smell.  Lovely coated in cheese or roasted with some salt and pepper.
I'd pretty much rolled my eyes and given up on its attempts at reinvention.

Until last month.
Last month I had the opportunity as an Allstar to work with CAULIPOWER developing recipes using their Cauliflower crusts.  

Guys, seriously...they're incredible.  Honestly.
They don't taste like cauliflower.
They're not soggy.
They're gluten-free.
And they're delicious.
Like, honest-to-goodness fabulous and satisfying.

I'm a cauliflower convert, genuinely.

I'm always a little extra...kind of in everything.
I don't do anything halfway, like ever.
Just not me.

When they asked me to come up with a pizza recipe I knew that I had to do something way more special than slapping some pepperoni on that crust.

I had a whole list of possibilities brainstormed (I was *thisclose* to making pozole pizza and I have a can of hominy in my pantry to prove it).  I almost went Moroccan.

But then, I really got hungry for some Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls.  Oh my gosh I love those things so much. Like SO MUCH.
Just talking about them I've already gotten so hungry that I've already put all of the ingredients on my shopping list.

So I took those fabulous flavors and threw them all over that crust.
And then...I proceeded to eat all of it before my family had the chance to try any of it.
For real.

I started with a base of peanut sauce.
Because what's not to like about peanut sauce?

Throw in some roasted broccoli slaw and red onion, add some diced chicken breast, and finish it with mint, basil, and cilantro.

It's so fresh and flavorful.
Definitely my kind of pizza!


1 (12 ounce) package CAULIPOWER® Cauliflower Pizza Crusts
6 oz broccoli coleslaw mix
3 Tbs[ very thinly sliced red onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
2/3 C diced cooked chicken
1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place broccoli slaw and red onion on the parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat.
3. Bake for 5 minutes; remove from oven, and set aside. Leave oven on.
4. Spread 1/2 of the peanut sauce on one of the pizza crusts. Top with broccoli-onion mixture, 1/2 of the chicken, and 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with second crust and remaining ingredients.
5. Place pizzas directly on oven rack and bake until crust is golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes.
6. Sprinkle basil, cilantro, and mint on each pizza before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!