Template

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Delicious Fried Foods and Bad Photos

So, I have something to apologize for- I have several recipes to share with you that have less-than-stellar pictures to go with them.

Sorry about that.

Dinner was ready, the lighting wasn't great, and my family was hungry so I rushed through them.

Oops!

I can be a bit of a perfectionist about things sometimes and it really irks me to share pictures that stink.

Just rest assured that the recipes they accompany do not stink.
In fact, they're pretty wonderful.

So just hang in there with me for a few posts, ok?

So the other day I shared with you a recipe for Beef and Bean Chimichangas that is pretty fabulous.
I also shared with you that my husband insisted that I fry them.

I don't like to fry stuff and I very rarely do it.  Mess, grease, blah.
When I do fry something I tend to end up frying several things while I have oil dirtied and all of that.

Since I already had a pan full of oil available I decided to make a couple more things- chicken flautas (which you'll see soon when I get them written up) and these Deep Fried Jalapeño Slices.
I.  Love.  These.
They were dangerous.
I meant to make them for my husband...and I ended up eating way more than I intended.
...and then going back for more.

The batter is kind of perfection.  It's well seasoned on it's own, thick enough to coat the jalapeños without dripping off, puffs just slightly as it cooks, and crisps beautifully.

You could easily serve these with ranch or something for dipping but to be honest they were so flavorful I enjoyed them plain.

They are fantastic- and I bet the batter would be amazing on pickle slices too!


3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 C beer
1/2 qt vegetable oil
2 C sliced fresh jalapeño peppers

1. Mix flour, salt, pepper, red chili powder, garlic powder, baking powder, eggs, and beer together in a bowl.

2. In a deep fryer, or large pot heat oil to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
3. Dip the sliced jalapenos in the batter. Place battered jalapenos in deep fryer. The jalapenos are fully cooked when they float to the surface of the oil. They should be golden brown and crispy. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!