Template

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Easy Flautas and Flavorful Chicken

I warned you already that I had a few recipes to share with terrible pictures- sorry about that.

Every once in a while when that happens I find myself wondering if I should even bother posting about some great recipe that I've come across- I just can't stand the thought of not sharing a wonderful recipe just because I didn't get an equally wonderful photo.

This time around I'm wrapping up the fried recipes.  Remember when I said I'd made several fried things the other day while I had the oil out?

I made the Beef and Bean Chimichangas, the Deep Fried JalapeƱo Slices, and I finished things off with these Easy Chicken Flautas.

In true Nora fashion, I couldn't resist the opportunity to up the flavor profile in this one just a touch, so rather than starting with plain cooked chicken I threw a couple of chicken breasts in the crockpot and covered them with salsa.  After cooking on low overnight they really don't even take any effort to shred since they're so moist and falling apart- running a fork through them just a little is enough to break them apart into shreds.  I drained off most of the excess liquid but kept all of the peppers and onions from the salsa mixed in with my chicken.

Such an easy way to add flavor to a dish- and to use up an open container of salsa in the fridge!  My family kept walking into the room and marveling at how amazing that cooking chicken smelled.

While I did spice up the chicken a little, I followed the same technique as the original recipe and these were so good!  Admittedly, my flauta-rolling skills could use some help.  I'll work on that next time I decide to fry up a batch.

These really were delicious- add a little sour cream or guac, maybe some beans and rice on the side, and you have one supremely satisfying meal!


1 lb boneless chicken breast
16 oz salsa
1/4 C butter
1/4 C all-purpose flour
10 flour tortillas
Oil for frying, or as needed
Toothpicks

1. Place chicken breast in crockpot, cover with salsa, and cook on low overnight.  Shred with fork.  Discard majority of excess liquid and allow chicken and salsa mixture to cool.

2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; stir flour into butter until smooth.  Stir chicken into mixture and remove skillet from heat and cover.

3. Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan or deep-fryer.  Fill tortillas with chicken mixture. Roll tortilla around filling and secure with a toothpick.

4. Fry the rolled tortillas, working in batches, in the hot oil until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer fried tortillas to a paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon or tongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!