Template

Friday, June 1, 2018

Warm Days and Fun Salads

I can't overstate the fact that I love side dishes.
So much.

Bring on that (often) carb-y goodness!
I want the pasta salads, the potato salads, and the grain salads.
I want the beans, the rolls, and everything else that you can fit on my plate.

My family might be dreaming of all of the grilled meats that summer barbecues bring, but me?

I don't remember what initially drew my attention to this recipe, but as soon as I saw it I knew that I needed to make it.  It's absolutely perfect for warm summer days, so light and refreshing.  In all honestly I had it for lunch yesterday, so it's definitely capable of holding it's own as a meal in and of itself, however I think it would also hold up to some grilled chicken or salmon if you don't have vegetarian leanings.

As the name implies, this salad has heirloom tomatoes and pearled couscous.  Couscous being one of my favorite things in the world, of course I knew I was going to like this!  Add to that sliced red onion and diced cucumber and the salad gets a little more refreshing and bulks up a bit.  Toss in crumbled feta and the party is really getting started.

But here comes the good part.
The part that has seriously made me contemplate planting an herb garden, because those little packets of fresh herbs at the grocery store are fairly ridiculously priced.

(Or maybe I should just get into the fresh herb market myself?)

This salad is absolutely loaded with fresh herbs.
Basil, parsley, thyme, and oregano get pulsed in the food processor with green olives and tossed with the rest of the ingredients along with a light vinaigrette.

Ohmy it's good!
There is literally nothing not to like about this salad.  I'm already looking forward to enjoying a bowl of it for lunch today after the kids and I go for a swim.

You need this salad in your life this summer!


2 C vegetable (or chicken) stock
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 C pearl (Israeli) couscous
1/2 C packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 C flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 C pitted green olives
4 heirloom tomatoes, quartered
15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 English cucumber, cubed
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 C crumbled feta cheese
1/4 C white balsamic vinegar
1/2 C extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced

1. Bring the vegetable stock to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the couscous and cook and stir until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir the toasted couscous into the hot vegetable stock and return to a simmer. Cover and cook until the stock has been absorbed into the couscous, about 15 minutes. Scrape into a mixing bowl, fluff with a fork, and allow to cool to room temperature.

2. Place the basil, parsley, garlic, oregano, thyme, and olives into a food processor; pulse until the herbs are coarsely chopped. Stir the herb mixture into the couscous along with the heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. Drizzle with the vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, and lemon juice. Stir until evenly combined.  Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!