Template

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Lemon Ice Cream and Summer Obsessions


I have been going a little ice cream crazy lately.
Ok...maybe not just a little.  At this moment I have Lavender Honey, Banana Pudding, Rocky Road, Cherry Pie à la Mode, and this Lemon ice cream in my freezer...and I have more cream in the fridge just begging to be used.

I'm on a roll, guys.
I have mastered the art of tempering eggs for custard bases and have moved on to experimenting with my own recipes.

I have way more ice cream than my family can possibly eat in that freezer already!
It's just so much fun to play around with these recipes.

I've always wanted to try a lemon ice cream so when I saw this recipe I knew that I was going to have to give it a whirl- especially since I already had all of the ingredients on hand.
Once I realized that there was just no saying "no" to this recipe!

This ice cream has that tart tang of lemon but when combined with that light, sweet creaminess you expect from ice cream the combination is just perfection!

Super Lemon Ice Cream

1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 C half-and-half cream
1 1/8 C white sugar
3 Tbsp grated lemon zest (approximately 6 small lemons)
5 egg yolks
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1. Heat heavy cream, half and half, sugar, and lemon zest in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved and liquid just starts to bubble.  Remove from heat, cover saucepan, and allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes.


2. Uncover pan and heat over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes.  Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with salt.  Whisk 1 cup of hot liquid into egg yolks in a slow stream.  Whisk the egg mixture into the cream mixture in the saucepan. 

3. Cook and stir over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture just coats the back of a spoon and reaches 175 degrees F, about 5 minutes.

4. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Chill, covered, overnight.
5. Stir the lemon juice into the cold cream mixture.  Freeze custard in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions, about 20 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer to firm up.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Lemon Ice Cream! Not too sweet. Not too tart. I added a 1/2 tsp. of lemon extract and a 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract. Will definitely make again!!!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!