Template

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Must Make Marinades and Summer Meals

Generally when we grill at our house we keep the meat fairly basic: Santa Maria style tri-tip, pork loin, link sausage.  Nothing too weird.  The meat is really for my family anyway so I tend to spare it from my ceaseless attempts at new recipes and just leave it the way I know they like it.  I get to play with the sides, and that's usually enough for me.

Sometimes, though...I like to mix it up.

When I told my husband about the marinades I had our meats soaking in the other day I was fully prepared to get a little push-back.
But I didn't.  Unexpected, but nice!

In addition to that delicious Chicken Club Pasta Salad, I marinated Grilled Chicken with Spicy Mango Glaze (more on that soon!) and this Scrumptious Korean Steak.
Talk about flavorful-wow!
The marinade is fairly simple but really packs a punch.  Soy sauce, sesame oil, loads of shallots, and a few other ingredients permeate this thin cut of steak and work what can only be described as magic.  The steak was actually supposed to be sliced thinly and cooked in a skillet but I decided I wanted to leave it whole and have my husband throw it on the grill.  It absolutely would have been great as-written over rice or in a tortilla.

This is another one of those dishes that the family can't stop talking about!
My husband poured half of the marinade over the top of the meat when it first went on the grill and the other half with the shallots on after he flipped it.  It was an unplanned move on his part but we both agreed that it was the right one after tasting it!  Those shallots are simply fabulous.

Leave it to me to talk about how amazing the shallots are when writing about steak, right?

Anyway, this is a definite keeper, one which I'm sure we will be making many more times this summer!


2 lbs thinly sliced Scotch fillet (chuck eye steaks)
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp sesame oil
3 shallots, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
5 Tbsp mirin

1. In a large bowl, stir together the soy sauce, sugar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, shallots, garlic, and mirin. Add the meat, and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the meat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink (or grill whole if steak is not sliced).  Serve with salad or fried rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!