Template

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Strawberry Shortcakes and 70's Weddings

I remember not liking a lot of things as a kid that seem utterly absurd to me now.

Cream cheese.
Sour cream.
Mustard.
Dark chocolate.
Brussels sprouts.

I suppose that list is fairly normal when it comes to kids' tastes- isn't it strange that most of those foods are on my list of grown-up favorites?  I could definitely go for a toasted bagel slathered with a healthy dose of cream cheese right about now!

The list of things I used to love and I now have no interest in whatsoever has been turned on it's head a little as well.  I remember going crazy for gooey, sickly-sweet caramel treats, drink mixes whose flavor can best be described as "red", and scrambling for the slice of cake with the giant frosting flower at birthday parties.

I suppose it's the natural course of things that tastes change over time.  A built-in bonus to that is that I never have to worry about my kids swiping the last bite of my favorites- and my kids will never be annoyed by me begging for a bite their candy bar.

I still maintain that my mother was always quick to slather her soft pretzel with mustard when I was little for this exact reason.  :-)

I may not have much of a sweet tooth these days, but there is one dessert that I have always loved- and probably appreciate even more as an adult.  It's light, fresh, just sweet enough, and balanced by bread-y deliciousness.

Strawberry shortcake.
And no, I am not talking about angel food cake topped with that sugary, strawberry goop that you tend to see hanging out in the produce department this time of year.

Strawberry shortcake, in my book at least, should always begin with the type of recipe included on the back of a Bisquick box.  The type that is essentially a lightly sweetened drop biscuit that is then topped with strawberries that have been sprinkled with just enough sugar to enhance their natural sweetness and bring out the juices a little.

Beyond that, I'm not a shortcake snob- I'm fine with the whipped cream out of a can.
Don't judge.  If you feel like being fancy you can certainly whip up a quick batch of whipped cream!

I have a certain level of nostalgia attached to this classic dessert.
My parents, who have been married for almost 45 years, served it at their wedding.
They were married under a giant tree in a park, the same tree under which I was christened 9 years later.
My mom made her dress and the those of the bridesmaids, the bouquet consisted of daisies, bachelor's buttons, and baby's breath, and she walked down the aisle to the Moody Blues.
It seems fitting that their wedding "cake" was actually strawberry shortcake.

I may not have been at the wedding but I've certainly spent my life hearing about it and the fond feelings associated with strawberry shortcake have percolated into my own mind.

For me, strawberry shortcake will always taste like happy memories and warm sunny days- the perfect summer dessert.


2 pints strawberries, sliced
1/4 C sugar (more or less to taste, I prefer less)
2 1/3 C Original Bisquick® mix (I used this substitute recipe)
1/2 C milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1/2 C whipping cream (or pre-made from store)

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.

2. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls.
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
4. Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!