Template

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Raspberry Peach Jam and DIY Fun

I used to have a backyard garden.
Every year it got more and more crazy, it's borders expanding, creeping, pushing farther than the previous year.  A couple of feet larger on one end, a couple of feet on the other.

It was so much fun.
I am not the most organized gardener.  My tomatoes grew into something resembling a jungle, my zucchini plants multiplied in numbers each year, growing big and beautiful with giant specimens that I don't even particularly like to eat.  I had an ever-growing number of different kinds of peppers and massive bunches of cayenne strung up to dry by my dining room window.

My husband would till my spot in the backyard each May, shaking his head and asking me hesitantly if I was sure I needed this much garden.

Yes.  Yes I did.
It's a bit addicting, watching a plot of brown earth grow and flourish.  The scent of tomato plants in the air as you meander through them, plucking their bright red fruit.

Gardens are kind of the best.
One skill that I picked up fairly quickly when staring down kitchen counters full of produce was canning.
A person can only consume and give away so many tomatoes before it becomes evident that something must be done.

I canned zucchini relish, pickled jalapeƱos, roasted red peppers, and tomato sauce.
So.  Much.  Tomato sauce.

Do you know how fantastic it is to be able to pop open a jar of tomato sauce made with homegrown tomatoes in the middle of winter?  It's magic.

Anyway, so I learned to can and I now own far more mason jars than I ever could have imagined.
I haven't planted a garden in a few years but I can't bring myself to part with those jars.
Maybe I'll plant a garden again one day.  Maybe I'll craft with them.  Maybe they'll continue sitting there on the shelf under my stairs and packed away in boxes.  Only time will tell.

A couple of weeks ago my in-laws came to see us for an early birthday celebration for me because they're wonderful.  They came with a load of fresh peaches from their tree at home.  Juicy, succulent, flavorful peaches.  So good.
You need to go find yourself some amazing in-laws that keep you supplied with peaches and pecans.  Trust me.  :-)

My husband asked me to make peach preserves, something which I'd never tried before but I've never been one to say "no" to a culinary challenge.  Plus, it's not like I was lacking the mason jars.

I started digging for recipes and while I was busy trying to find the best way to make peach preserves I came across a recipe for Raspberry Peach Jam.

Maybe not exactly what he'd asked for...but close enough.
I ran to the store for some pectin and raspberries and got to work.

This is a SERIOUSLY simple recipe, there's actually very little work involved.  If you've never canned before there are plenty of simple instructions online (like these) but really- super simple.

The consistency and flavor of this jam are just lovely- I think it would probably be good with blackberries too if you happen to have a glut of them.  (Lucky you if you do, they're my favorite!)  To be honest, the peach flavor was a little overwhelmed by the raspberry flavor- I think if I'm lucky enough to be gifted homegrown peaches again I will probably cut back on the raspberries on the recipe and up the peaches to achieve more of a sunset peachy-pink color.  Either way, this really is a delicious jam!  I've been enjoying it on toast in the mornings and it's fantastic.  There's something so satisfying about eating something you've put up yourself!


7 lb fresh peaches
10 C white sugar
5 C fresh or frozen raspberries
1/3 C lemon juice
1/4 C and 2 Tbsp powdered pectin

1. Immerse ten 12-ounce jars in simmering water until jam is ready. Wash lids and rings in warm soapy water.

2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peaches, 3 or 4 at a time; cook for 30 seconds. Immerse in ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain. Peel off skins, core and dice peaches into small pieces.
3. Combine diced peaches, sugar, raspberries, and lemon juice in a large pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; cook at a rapid boil for 10 minutes (I ran my immersion blender through the mixture to break up the fruit a little more, but that's totally just a personal preference). Stir in pectin; bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and skim foam off the jam with a slotted spoon.
4. Pack jam into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
5. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars 2 inches apart into the boiling water using a holder. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool, 12 to 24 hours. Press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!