Template

Monday, August 7, 2017

Chicken Noodle Soup (In Which I Protest Fall)

I refuse to believe that Fall will be here soon.
I'm protesting.

Do you hear me?
PROTESTING.

I will use up every last day in our pool before the weather gets cool.
I will continue to make ice cream and grill out and make warm weather food.

I literally don't own a pair of pants that fits me right now as I lost weight over the summer and I'm just flat out refusing to buy any until the weather is actually cold.

Do you hear me?  Jeans and Chucks may be my cool-weather uniform but I'm not giving in and admitting defeat and to the end of summer just yet.

While I'm normally starting to get just a wee bit excited about blog planning for Fall meals and cool-weather treats by this time in the summer I'm just not there yet.
Not at all.
Yet...today I made chicken noodle soup for dinner.

We've had some funky weather the last couple of weeks and one look out the window today told me that- while our warm sunny days may not be over yet- today was not one of them.
Nope, today was definitely a soup day.

There was just no denying it.

I pulled up about a million soup recipes, and- while many were tempting- in the end I went with my daughter's all-time #1 favorite soup: chicken noodle.

She's always had a thing for chicken noodle.
In fact, it's kind of surprising how many kids menus over the years have had chicken noodle soup listed as an option as a side dish.
I have watched her gleefully slurp it up many, many times in many, many restaurants but I haven't personally tried to make it from scratch in a very long time.
Nope, that's been a job for Progresso.

Today I decided to tackle what I rightfully assumed was a fairly simple task myself and avoid the can since I had a huge number of carrots in the fridge and plenty of chicken in the freezer.  One quick run by the grocery store for some egg noodles was all it took and I was in business!

So...you guys know me if you've been reading along for any time at all.
I very, very rarely leave well enough alone when it comes to recipes.
Today was no exception.
That being said, I really didn't mess with things too much methodology-wise.  I just played with the seasonings because I can't handle bland.

So this is really super, super simple.
Sauté some onions and garlic, add some chicken, cover with broth, toss in veggies and seasonings.  Let that go for awhile and then add the noodles.  I did cook the noodles separately so they wouldn't absorb the broth.

Enjoy.

Pretty simple, right?
Right.

Oh!
I forgot one little step:
It's also completely necessary that you take a step back and appreciate that heavenly scent that permeates the air in your home and lets everyone who enters know that you slaved away over a hot stovetop to prepare comfort food on a cool, gray day.

Add some bread and enjoy!
Voilà.  :-)


2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
10 cups chicken broth
4 stalks celery, diced (including leaves)
5 large carrots, sliced
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
2 tsp sriracha
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp marjoram
2 bay leaves
6 oz egg noodles


1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until just tender, 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until mostly cooked through, about 4 minutes.  Pour in chicken broth celery, carrots, poultry seasoning, sriracha, salt, basil, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, marjoram and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer at least 20 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through.

2.  In a separate pot bring water to a  boil.  Cook noodles for 5 minutes.  Drain and stir into soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!