Template

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Molasses Grilled Peaches: A Simple Summer Dessert

I'm willing to bet I go through a great deal more molasses than the average home cook.

I just love that deep, dark, rich, sultry flavor.  It adds another dimension to all kinds of dishes- not to mention how many last minute trips to the store have been saved by the knowledge that I can make my own brown sugar when I run out!  Did you know that?  Seriously, just mix molasses into white sugar and voilà- you have brown sugar!

For years I only bought molasses once a year- for holiday cookie baking.  Big Soft Ginger Cookies are some of my absolute favorites!

Once I discovered the brown sugar trick it became a staple in my pantry and I use it all. the. time.

It adds a richness to everything, from cookies, to Gingerbread popcorn, to my go-to BBQ Sauce.

As soon as I saw this recipe for Molasses Grilled Peaches I just knew that I had to try it.  We've been grilling so much this summer, why not grill dessert too?


Unfortunately, there was one small problem with that...it rained.  A totally unexpected downpour.
I'm sure these are delicious on the grill, nice and smokey...but that rain was really coming down, so I ended up breaking out that my rarely-used grill pan from the back of the cabinet.  I followed the recipe exactly other than that and it still came out absolutely delicious.

I served the warm peaches over French Vanilla ice cream and it truly was just magnificent.  The warm peaches over that cold ice cream, the cinnamony molasses mingling with the melting sweet vanilla cream almost made a sauce over the dessert.  Sweet but not overwhelming, with a perfectly balanced flavor.  Perfection.  These are absolutely going to be my new go-to summer dessert!


4 peaches, halved and pitted
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1/2 cup molasses

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.

2. Place peaches cut-side down on the grill; cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip peaches, dust with cinnamon, and fill each half with 1 tablespoon molasses. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes.

3. Let peaches rest before serving, 3 to 5 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!