Template

Friday, January 8, 2016

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Copycat Chuy's Salsa

I fell in love with pico de gallo in Puerto Vallarta on my high school graduation trip.
It was a memorable experience- I think I topped every single thing I ate that week with pico.
Even a tray of fries by the pool of the hotel.

 I.  Love.  It.

Sure, other salsas have merit.  I'm not going to turn my nose up at them, for sure.  In fact, I'm far more likely to make quick work of polishing off a bowl of salsa than a bowl of queso any day of the week.

But pico de gallo is definitely my favorite- by a long shot.

A few months ago I stumbled across a chain of restaurants called Chuy's (they're everywhere apparently, check them out!).  I instantly fell in love.  If you like spicy you MUST try their Southwestern Enchiladas with blue corn tortillas, green chile sauce, and an egg.
Simply phenomenal.
I have yet to try anything they make that I don't like- and to be honest I'm a harsh critic when it comes to restaurant food.

Anyway, so they have this salsa.  It's not your standard chunky pico, but rather like a pico that's been pulsed in a food processor a couple of times.  It's very dippable with chips but has those fresh and simple flavors that are so wonderful.  Most picos I've had use jalapeƱos but their's uses serranos.  It's really wonderful stuff!

When we were preparing our Mexican smorgasbord for New Year's Eve I decided that if we were going to have salsa I might as well try my hand at a Chuy's copycat.  I found lots on the internet but I finally settled on this one from LanaRedmond.com.
It was spot on except for the salt- I should have known better.  I saw that it called for an entire tablespoon and garlic salt too and thought that was a bit excessive but I followed the recipe anyway.
Oops.

I've cut waaaaay back on the salt for you and now it is perfection!  Perfect for noshing with chips or topping your favorite Mexican food!



1 oz serrano peppers (about ½ cup, stemmed and chopped coarsely) -Use fewer serranos if you don't like it spicy!!
1/2 C fresh cilantro
1 C onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/3 C lime juice
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped

1. Wash vegetables thoroughly. Place serranos, cilantro, onion, lime juice, salt and garlic salt in a food processor (or blender), and pulse on low speed for 5 seconds.

2. Add tomatoes, and pulse until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!