Template

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Who Knew Making Tortillas Was So Easy?

Am I the only one who has a mini heart attack when she sees the price of sweet bell peppers?

Overpriced, undersized peppers mocking me from their pre-packaged plastic bag in the produce section, knowing I'm going to fork over the money even though I really don't want to.
Totally makes me long for summer when my garden is throwing them at me faster than I can cook with them!

Last time I went to the grocery store I noticed that sweet bell peppers were on sale for $1 apiece- about half their normal cost- and they were good quality to boot.  Big, firm, not packaged in a plastic bag.
I stocked up big time.

Since we know my husband won't touch a stuffed pepper, those were off the table.  I decided on fajitas for dinner last night but by the time I realized I was out of tortillas I'd already been to the store and really didn't feel like making a second trip.

But fajitas were definitely happening.

You know, a few years ago a local newspaper interviewed me about my Allrecipes affiliation and my (then) recent trip to Seattle to visit their headquarters.  The reporter asked me what advice I had for other home cooks- I said something about practice and to just keep trying all of that jazz.
In reality, I think the most important piece of advice I can offer is to be undaunted.

You can do this.  In fact, there are few things that you can't make at home if you have the right ingredients, a little confidence, and a half decent recipe in front of you.

So I decided to make tortillas.

To be honest, the right ingredients aren't even a requirement sometimes.  Sorry tortilla purists- I didn't have lard, I was out of shortening, so I used butter.
And you know what?

These were absolutely wonderful!
Soft, pliable, chewy, delicious, tortilla goodness.

They came together really easily.  I just have two big important tips for you...

1) Roll them thin.  No seriously, like thin.  Almost see-through thin.  Thin thin thin thin thin.  
2) Don't overcook them, you want them to be pliable- not toasted.

That's it!  Happy tortilla-making!

Makes 24 small or 12 large tortillas

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons lard (or shortening)
1 1/2 cups water

1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.

2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!