Template

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Rainbow Trix Treats for St. Patrick's Day

I usually don't buy sugary cereal for our family except for birthdays- that sounds a little nutty, right?  

I know.  Blame my mother.


It was her rule and I adopted it with my own kiddo.  While she might sound a little silly standing in the cereal aisle carefully plotting out what her next birthday cereal choice will be, it's all worked out for the best- I have an eight year-old who loves regular Cheerios, Wheat Chex, Wheaties, and Kix.

Really.  She loves those cereals and doesn't even add sugar to them!

But, she's a kid.  And those brightly colored sugar-laden cereals are enticing when you're face-to-face with them in the grocery store.

Last week we found ourselves staring down the long aisle full of cereal choices and she was excitedly rattling off the many varieties she was considering for her birthday cereal this month.

Cookie Crisp, Corn Pops, and Lucky Charms are all in the running, for the record.  :-)

Anyway, my eyes settled upon Trix.

I've been pondering what fun rainbow treat I could make for St. Patrick's Day this year and all of a sudden I knew what I had to do- Trix Marshmallow Treats.

Nomnomnom....

I made a deal with my daughter- I would buy a box of Trix with which to make my treats and she could have whatever was left for herself.

lol I kind of made her day.  Probably her week, actually.

Anyway, she couldn't wait for me to make those snacks so that she could begin polishing off the rest of the cereal, so we rushed home to make our concoction.

Marshmallow treats are so easy to make- butter, melted marshmallows, and cereal.
I've made them with Fruity Pebbles in the past, and they would work just as well for a rainbow themed treat.

These were a big hit in our house- I think I might have to make a second batch soon!


1/4 cup butter
4 cups miniature marshmallows
5 cups cereal

1. Melt margarine in large sauce pan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted and well-blended. Cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

2. Add cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly and firmly in buttered 13 x 9 inch pan. Cut into 2 x 2 inch squares when cool.

1 comment:

  1. These are really cute Nora! I love the idea of a birthday cereal too! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!