Template

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Beginning of the Baking Season

I'm always looking for fun ways to spend time with my daughter in the kitchen.  She loves the idea of helping, and I love the idea of passing on my love of cooking on to her.

Click to see the recipe on Allrecipes.com
Generally, she gets bored after about 5 minutes (or whenever she's had the opportunity to crack the eggs, whichever comes first!) and I take over.  Thankfully, this recipe is one that kept her interest.  The dough comes together quickly and then chills for a while, giving her the opportunity to go be a crazy kid for a while and come back interested in helping again.

Next comes the fun part- rolling out the dough and cutting the cookies.  I let her pick out the cookie cutters on her own, so we had an interesting assortment of flowers, Christmas trees, hearts, and pumpkins.


I love that kid :-)

Following the recipe in Allrecipes Magazine
These are tasty cookies, but they're not those super-thick soft and sturdy ones you want to use when kids are decorating (this is my go-to recipe for that kind...)- but these are yummy,  just crispy enough, and will hold up fine to a more gentle grown-up hand.  I chose to dip mine this simple icing.  I'm really terrible at truly "decorating" cakes and cookies, so just dipping them in the icing, shaking off the excess, and allowing to dry on a wire rack placed over wax paper worked well for me :-)

I mentioned before that Allrecipes has recently launched a print magazine, and that is where I came across this recipe, as well as the suggestion for the icing- definitely worth checking it out!

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
From Allrecipes.com

1 1/2 C butter, softened
2 C white sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 2 and also added 1 tsp of almond extract)
5 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
(I added 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg)

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4" to 1/2" thick.  Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter.  Place cookies 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 6-8 minutes in preheated oven.  Cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. Gonna try this one. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm awful at decorating cookies! I like the dipping technique - gonna have to try that! Your baby girl is adorable - what a great smile! pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! Dipping works well and still gives you a decent looking cookie. Thanks!

      Delete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!