Template

Friday, April 29, 2016

Sloppy Joes and Childhood Memories

For almost 30 years Sloppy Joes have been forever entwined in my memory with Grandma Martin.

Not my Grandma Martin, though I did have my own one of those who did some rather amazing cooking of her own, but rather my childhood friend Molly's Grandma Martin- we each had one.

 I always thought that was kind of neat.  :-)

The first time I remember ever eating a Sloppy Joe was at Molly's house.  Her parents were out and her Grandma Martin was babysitting.  She was so full of life and such a fun lady to have around.
Also, I LOVED her Sloppy Joes.  Love at first bite.

The next time I stayed for dinner when her grandma was there she made sloppy joes again- and I loved them just as much.  I don't know if this was a regular thing, or if she just happened to make those sloppy joes twice and I was there both times.  It doesn't really matter.  Forever more I will think fondly of those nights with the Other Grandma Martin and her sloppy joes.

Sloppy Joes are really just pure comfort food.  There are few times when I am so liberal with my use of ketchup in a recipe but the sweet tang of a sloppy joe is well worth it.  I swap out red bell pepper for green just because my family seems to feel that green peppers are a little too bitter for their tastes.
I probably haven't purchased a green bell pepper in almost 8 years now.  Or you know...since I started cooking for my husband.  :-)

It's tempting to just go the canned sloppy joe sauce route, but honestly this recipe is so ridiculously simple and delicious why not just make your own?  Homemade is almost always better than store-bought and this is not exception- not to mention you probably already have most if not all of these ingredients on hand.  I certainly did!

Super easy.  Super delicious.  Super nostalgic.  Super kid-friendly.
Sloppy Joes totally belong on your table.  :-)


1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C chopped bell pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
3/4 C ketchup
3 tsp brown sugar
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste

1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

2. Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.



1 comment:

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!