Template

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Buttery Cayenne Pecans

Nuts are such a great snacking food- personally my favorite are cashews.
So good.  Roasted and salted...I can't be trusted around them.  I will eat the whole can.
In one sitting.

Thankfully I don't have any around at the moment.
No, this time it's pecans.  I'm lucky enough to get some great ones from my in-laws semi-regularly and generally have some in the freezer waiting to be enjoyed.

There are lots of yummy recipes for spiced nuts out there, but they're generally of the sweet-and-spicy variety.  I love those, but I don't always love the idea of the added sugar when I'm mindlessly snacking.  I've even tried subbing brown sugar Splenda® but it's not quite the same- and it's still a sugar blend.

That's why this recipe for Buttery Cayenne Pecans jumped out at me in the October issue of Bon Appétit.  They have all of the delicious flavor of toasted, spiced nuts without any of the added sugar.  I loved these- they would be a great snack to put out for a holiday party!


6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1¼ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp hot sauce
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
4 C pecans (about 1 pound)

1. Preheat oven to 300°. Whisk butter, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, hot sauce, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add pecans and toss to coat. 

2. Spread out in a single layer in a large cast-iron skillet or on a rimmed baking sheet and roast, tossing occasionally, until pecans are well toasted and spices are fragrant, 25–30 minutes. These are pretty great served warm, or let cool.


Do Ahead: Pecans can be made 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!